Stocks Thread (A/K/A STONKS THREAD)

@boredsocial

:leolol:

1 Like

The Levine letter was so good today, how about the guy who actually did the Ackman successfully? Insane!

So uh wtf is happening? JPY bank stonk down 25%, South Korea halting all sell orders, US futures cratered almost 3%, and btc (10%) and eth (20%) collapsed.

ETA: SPX futures only down about 1.5%.

The hamsters running on the wheel got tired.

I’m finishing a cross country move, putting our bed together, with tomorrow pencilled in to catch back up on my portfolio, so perfect timing for this to happen. :man_facepalming:

Needed 24 more hours.

Looks like the yen is up about 3% vs the dollar in the last few days, and 11% in the last month, so that’s offsetting a lot of this.

Seems like we’ve finally broken the cycle of bad economic news paradoxically triggering a market melt up due to rate cut anticipation.

Now, bad economic news actually triggers fears we’ve waited too late to lower rates and recession is inevitable.

Lots of random thoughts.

VTSAX still up 11% YTD and roughly 60% since Biden took office.

I keep seeing smartish trader types say a lot of this is unwinding carry trades because the yen strengthened against the dollar, no idea if this is true.

Bond trading is fucking wild and you have to be verifiably insane to trade long term bonds.

AI mania hopefully over, that shit felt very dot com era.

Falling rates may save a lot of CRE borrowers and lenders. Also residential housing may weirdly boom with mortgages back to normal rates historically.

2 Likes

Nothing here I disagree with. A good time to buy stuff on sale imo. Everyone is scared so the smart thing assuming you aren’t under significant financial pressure (which you shouldn’t be, shame on you for taking on real leverage with all time high’s as soft as they were recently if you are) is to get paid to help them out of their positions.

Personally the times when I do fuck around with leverage are nearly always after the market is already off a substantial amount and then I’m buying whichever stuff I understand that is selling at the biggest discount to tangible reality available OR BRK which as the worlds largest provider of private bailouts generally does really goddamn well in a crash. I mean let’s not forget that most of BRK’s largest and most profitable positions are the direct result of supposedly bad economic cycles.

I’m also kinda hopeful that the stock market finally taking a hit is a sign that the government may switch gears from trying to slow the economy down to get inflation under control to trying to get things moving. As someone whose industry has been heavily impacted by them tapping the brakes I’m hoping this might be the beginning of the end of our recession which at 26 months and counting is already the longest since the deregulation of trucking in the 80’s.

Oh man we aren’t even close to seeing the AI bubble crash yet.

Always fun to see Bitcoin price completely tethered to the stock market. Kinda thought digital gold was supposed to be the safe haven when stocks take a dive?

https://x.com/zackvoell/status/1820101641875370241?s=46&t=45vgHoZvsEXz2aWNi8tmcw

1 Like

The idea that crypto would be a hedge against a market crash is so loopy. Like people who’ve just had their 401ks cleaned out are going to all rush out to by Bitcoin? With the money they no longer have?

Levine explains it simply as always: The Good Trades Have Gone Bad (non-paywall)

2 Likes

Nikkei up almost 4%

Nikkei 225 now up 6%

Make that 7.4%

Robinhood 24hr trading thing said it was suspended tonight, don’t think I ever seen that

1 Like

Recession canceled! Dip buyers rejoice.

Carry trade narrative wins?

1 Like

Who’s got two thumbs, just moved to the west coast, and forgot to unload his BIL today before east coast after hours trading closed so he could buy undervalued Japanese stocks and is now annoyed?

1 Like