Stupid Things Heard at Work

Oh the best part, the prospect didn’t even show up to the fucking meeting today

not sure which is worse, an airline pilot that hasn’t seen Airplane! or an enterprise software sales rep who hasn’t seen Glengarry Glen Ross

the pilot is a 30-something woman in my alumni group, I guess ladies get a pass on this, the sales rep is a 30ish guy in my company.

like, I should NEVER have to explain this when I drop it in the sales team slack channel

3 Likes

7 AM zoom the monday after DST starts? go fuck yourself

I had 2 6am meetings canceled 20 minutes before I got online last week…

Apparently the democrats are planning to start WW3 because then the election will be cancelled and Biden will become a dictator. That’s a fact.

Also the Supreme court exhonerated Trump with the ballot ruling, Dems are trying to rig it. Nevermind that the Colorado issue was brought by republicans. Clearly the Dems will cheat in whatever way they can. That’s a fact.

cold linkedin from an agency headhunter yesterday. I asked for job description and compensation details, which she provided, I told her to send me a zoom invite for this afternoon, which she did. one hour before the scheduled time I get:

Hi pvn,

What is the best number to reach you on?

Im having problems with the sound on my laptop so i’ll call your mobile at 4pm :slight_smile:

replied:

I don’t give out my phone number to headhunters, if you need to reschedule just let me know.

no response yet, we’ll see if she shows up at the top of the hour

2 Likes

Sounds like a time to use one of your burners.

she asked to reschedule to tomorrow which I assume is a face-saving move

just sent this to a UK cow-orker after a group DM

do brits call “:” a semicolon? I think I just had a stroke on this call

Yes but I think it’s pronounced “chumley”

It’s always fun to hear the new employees freak out over talk about options and vesting and what not. Closest date for an IPO is 2026 and people are getting way too excited about pretend money…

I feel seen… although i guess mine aren’t options, just need to fully vest a bunch of things (signing bonus, pension, other employer retirement contributions)

Those sound more real than options, which can still evaporate in a few rounds of raising capital or a hundred ways an IPO can not happen.

ah yes I had options that went from (on paper) mid 7-figures about two years in to $0 by the time they were fully vested (never was a liquidity event so it didn’t really matter). When I left the company people all asked if I was exercising and when I said “uh, fuck no, how can you even ask me that” they looked at me like I had two heads. Company was … “restructured” in a firesale 6 months later, wiping out almost everyone

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to understand taxes on RSUs and still have no fucking idea. It seems like I’m paying like 70% on this shit even though I know that can’t be right.

found out a couple of years ago that about six months after I started there was a offer from microsoft for about 4x my strike price which they turned down, MSFT was trading around $50 then (this was early 2016). If it had been a stock swap, just my original stake would be ~$20mm now, big shoutout to Greylock for passing on that.

With Turbo Tax Premier, your 1099-B, and I think it’s form 3922 from your company, you should be able to get it right pretty easily. But if you have any specific questions, I went through this in agonizing detail last year when the IRS came at me for my 2021 return (and then I had to fix my 2022 return as well), so I know how to get it right now.

RSUs are pretty simple, I think, they’re just income when you receive them. If you then hold the stock before selling, and it goes up, it’s short term or long term capital gain depending on how long you held.

(this gets weirder if it’s not publicly traded stock, I haven’t been in this situation but some private tech companies give their RSUs with weird strings attached so that employees don’t have a taxable event upon receiving stock they can’t sell)