Television & Movies

How can you miss dead people?

since there’s no russia-russia-russia thread, i guess this new oscar winner goes here.

uncut, 1080p, no-ads, “pirated” version of “Navalny” doc was put online.

Finally saw cocaine bear. Two thumbs up.

2 Likes

Disney on board the quick hook train

Watched the first couple episodes of Extrapolations on Apple TV, a show that shelled out big-time for its cast

and is from the writer of Contagion, the movie that in hindsight really nailed pandemics. This show shows a future dealing with the effects of climate change, with episode taking place in a different year; the first episode is 2037, the second 2047, apparently it goes to 2070. I think this review most matches my feelings about the first couple episodes:

Extrapolations is at its best when it finds the sweet spot between lecturing and enlightening, but these moments don’t come frequently enough. More often it finds itself stuck at the student debate level set in the first episode when a protester who is about to deliver a speech on the failure of the 2015 Paris agreement, via a giant hologram, is asked if there’s anything she needs. “Yes,” she says. “For people to listen!”

It feels like it has show much potential, but like, when you read a description of this type of show and you’re like “oh no, I hope it isn’t super preachy”, I am sorry to report that it is exactly that. Some nuggets from reviews suggest future episodes have moments that break out of this and seem more rooted in personal stories, but the first two episodes are pretty bad and I dunno if I care enough to stick with it and see the many good actors on that list who haven’t showed up yet.

Most of episode 2 is Siena Miller talking to a whale (I guess under the pretext that, like, we’ve decoded whale language so computers can just translate? lol ok), like “yeah we sure fucked up this whole ocean thing here, sorry about that, our bad”. And then at the end of the episode you learn that her outfit is being duplicitous to the whale, because…*drumroll* capitalism, obviously.

1 Like

A Wounded Fawn is very good. Very Lynchian, very surreal.

Paging @eyebooger

1 Like

Thanks I was going to check this out and uh now… will not.

Fuck yeah.

1 Like

I liked this mandalorian episode better than the others. I’ve been disappointed the last two seasons how little they’ve explored this period of ABY, and seeing a glimpse of the new republic was cool.

1 Like
1 Like

Good to see the best movie of the year finally make more money than the worst movie of the year…

You’re going to see more, I think. Dave Filoni is the Fixer.

He fixed the prequels with Clone Wars and Rebels, and 20 years on, people have a new appreciation for their story.

Now he’s doing the same with the sequels. The groundwork for the rise of both the First Order and the Resistance was pretty obviously laid out in this latest episode, and we’re going to see a lot more of it. They are also emphasizing cloning in the Bad Batch, which is running concurrently (but takes place 20 years earlier, shortly after the regime change to the Empire), and it’s definitely NOT a coincidence.

Just started watching Shrinking on Apple TV, starring Jason Segel (as a therapist whose wife recently died) with Harrison Ford and Jessica Williams. I was surprised to discover it’s actually quite good! The previews sell it short. It’s very funny.

2 Likes

I watched E1 of shrinking and said pass. Maybe I’ll try again IDK but actually some TV back now, I’ll check rating graph when its done.

Ted Lasso s3e2 was great! What a return from a not so great premier. Unless they do something dumb like make it go on way too long its going to go down as a fantastic show. You don’t like this show there’s something wrong with you.

2 Likes

Yeah I was feeling a little yikes about the opening episode but this was much better.

1 Like

hasn’t gotten better

Meh. It’s better when it’s just action set pieces. This is the way.

2 Likes

this last episode made me think they have no idea where theyre going with the story and are just throwing shit at the wall

2 Likes