Television & Movies

Oh, you mean like soccer?

2 Likes

MrsWookie was in charge of picking tonight’s movie (admittedly with the constraint to not do something I’d hate, which is symmetrical with when I have the burden), and she picked CODA (Child Of Deaf Adults), on Apple TV+.

It’s a very good movie, despite not being something I’d have picked out on my own for quite a while were I stranded on a desert island with nothing but the Apple TV + catalog. We both had many connections to the theme of the movie. We met in a place with a prominent deaf university and had many mutual friends who were deaf or sign language interpreters. And MrsWookie’s mom was a sign language interpreter. So, it may have been a bit more personal to us than it is for anyone who doesn’t know deaf people, but I’d still recommend it to hearing people as an insight to the deaf community. There was just one thing we disagreed with both each other and with the choice of the movie, which I will only discuss in the spoiler, because it’s basically the crux of the whole story. If you haven’t seen this, just watch it, then click the spoiler.

In the movie, we see Ruby sing at her high school concert for her disinterested parents (although they do notice that the hearing people were loving her singing. Then she sang for her dad on their truck tailgate afterwards so he could understand her better. And then she sang at the Berkelee audition her family was listening to after sneaking in.

Both of us disagreed with how the movie did things. I thought Ruby should have started signing for her family spontaneously during the concert, then struggling in the audition when singing without signing, and then pulling it together and doing both and crushing the audition, signaling that she was nervous about but finally embracing who she was. MrsWookie thought she should have at least signed to her dad on the tailgate, and then not signed at first in her audition before singing and signing for it to succeed. The movie went with only signing during the climactic audition. I see the case for it, but neither of us really agree with that choice.

Anyway, this is a good one, and I recommend it even to guys who might not pick a woman-centric movie, especially when they might not have many connections to deaf people.

4 Likes

Watching Daisy Jones and the Six. Four episodes in. Really enjoying. Well done.

Saw the DnD movie. Entertaining. 7/10. Chris Pine a little too glib to me, especially early.

Love small town theaters. Manitowac AMC 10, ticket plus kids size soda and popcorn for $11. Just perfect for this old guy.

2 Likes

Somehow sat through the pilot for 24 version 2 aka “rabbit hole”, one of the worst and dumbest thing I’ve seen in forever, and gonna be honest, the fact that it was apparently filmed in unwatchable 60 frames per second is just the chef’s kiss.

I’ve become addicted to Johnnie To movies. Such an underrated director, so many great movies.

My wife has been watching this too, she read (half of) the book and was interested. I watched the first couple episodes and liked them.

Today while we’re both WFH I heard her listening to the soundtrack, so I was wondering how extensive it is and googled it, and it turns out there is a.) a full album from the show and b.) a Pitchfork review of said album. This is too much:

In Reid’s novel, Aurora is the soft-rock holy grail, an achievement that transforms American music and rends its creators in the process. The series is burdened by the same strictures as folk musicals Begin Again and Juliet, Naked, not to mention low-prestige cable dramas Vinyl and Dave: In dramatizing the creative process and the difficulty of genius, the work becomes secondary. Logistically, a narrative hinging on transcendent music is undone when the songs are just pretty good. The album struggles to apprehend Fleetwood Mac’s audacity, conflating a ‘70s rock pinnacle with easy-listening ballads. Aurora is bold only as far as tribute-band supergroups go.

Entirely too easy to picture the author jerking themselves off as they write this lol. “How can one possibly make a television show about great music when the music is not transcendent the way Fleetwood Mac was?!?” I tried listening to a Fleetwood Mac song (incidentally, their most played song on Spotify) and fell asleep:

BORING. Easy-listening ballads are insulted to be compared to this.

I mean, you were reading pitchfork, of course the author was jerking himself off

2 Likes

I’m enjoying the songs in the show but I don’t think I’d go out of my way to listen to them otherwise.

Id be ok with this being a one season deal.

Succession question about tonight’s episode:

Why is Kendall trying to tank the deal? Don’t they need the money for the Pierce acquisition?

I took it as kind of like Logan said

Sometimes people get emotional and snap and call off a deal like this. Matsson pissed off Kendall talking down to him on the phone call

mandalorian side quest episode again, but, some notable cameos saved it for me

Wasn’t that the original concept for the show? It was supposed to be all side quests.

1 Like

I absolutely LOVED this episode. Grinned the whole time. Completely batshit in the best way.

Star Wars has ALWAYS been camp, and this made me feel like a kid again.

Saw this is new on Netflix - Beef starring Steven Yeun and Ali Wong:

This looks…fucking awesome? We watched the first episode and it’s good, and it has great reviews:

Very excited to watch more!

2 Likes

the good news - more star wars movies with rey! the bad news - more star wars movies with rey!

maybe they’ll write her a decent plot. maybe.

I am 0% surprised a show with those two actors as the leads is good.

1 Like

Ok but how surprised are you that David Choe might get an Emmy nod?

Succession

Ho. Ly. Fuck.

2 Likes

Woof!

Now what? Who even decides who takes over without Logan favoring a successor, the board?

1 Like