Television & Movies

Preview spoilers:

I think so, it looks like the rest of the season turns into a power struggle between the kids and the old guard.

2 Likes

One episode into BEEF. Very good, I’m hooked.

1 Like

Yeah it’s really really good. My wife and I finished it in 2 days.

The Last Thing He Told Me on Apple TV, starring Jennifer Garner and Jaime Lannister: this show seems kinda meh so far. I’m gonna personally stick with it for the glamour shots of Marin (my dad and I used to ride our bikes to Sausalito and a friend of his lived in one of those houseboat marinas when they were less ritzy than they are now) and because I :heart: Jennifer Garner, but through the first couple episodes it seems very formulaic. Her husband DISAPPEARED on the RUN and apparently he had SECRETS! Quel mystère!

Oh, and I almost forgot - we got some CODE in this show (because Jaime works at a startup called, and I kid you not because this name is so lame, “The Shop”, and not only that but apparently they IPOed recently oh and also it’s a total fraud; the show keeps comparing it to Enron, which is weird since I think Enron was public long before their fraud came to light?):

Here we have some C++ code mixed with a significant amount of C; apparently the DES stuff is part of the OpenSSL library, so, even though this is pretty ugly I guess if you’re using a C API you don’t always have a choice. I’m somewhat fascinated with however this must have come to fruition because code shown in TV/movies is often very bad but this is actually quite good on the whole, like it’s up there with Mythic Quest as presenting extremely plausible examples of code, yet here it’s in a situation where it’s significantly less important to the plot? (like, Mythic Quest is specifically about video game development and they kinda show stuff like this a lot, whereas this is just a brief moment of Jennifer Garner looking at her husband’s laptop where none of the viewers will notice or care)

Just wanted to give a shoutout to whoever came up with this - I see you, you’re dedicated to your craft and I appreciate that.

1 Like

I’m in the mainframe

2 Likes

Antmania or whatever is just a perfect “throw on 2nd monitor” movie, no idea how this is 6.4 on IMDB, should be at least 6.5.

In sort of a related vein, I caught this gem on Netflix a few months back:

Anyone want to guess the film? Here’s a hint:

Didn’t even need the hint. That movie made some incredible casting decisions.

New Netflix series starring Keri Russell which tbh doesn’t look that great from the trailer but has pretty solid reviews?

I’ll prob give it a try.

Finished Beef on Netflix last night. Highly recommend. :+1: :+1:

It is a weird show and gets weirder. Hard to categorize. It took me a couple episodes to get into it, primarily because I couldn’t really find a single character that was in any way relatable or sympathetic. Just a litany of bad people making terrible decisions and suffering the consequences.

But as it tumbles forward and escalates from each episode to the next, we dig beneath the surface and each character ends up at least somewhat humanized and relatable. Well-written and very well-acted (with a couple of minor exceptions).

We almost never “binge” and rarely watch more than one episode of something per night. But after finishing E9 last night, we knew we had to watch the finale.

In summary: weird, interesting, compelling, challenging, ambitious.

2 Likes

DND movie: fine. 2nd act almost lost me but 3rd act was quick and wrapped things up. M. Rodriguez should retire. Pine needs better wigs. Red headed monster girl is going to awaken many things in many young men and a lot of women. Displacer beast, gel cube, mimic (finally, 3rd chest, thought they were going to blow it) appearances, no Tiamat or beholders (??), no Vecna or Mindflayers but there’s a good reason for that right.

the diplomat is … not bad. needs more stuffing bodies into suitcases

NB when I searched “Diplomat” on imdb, the first hit was a different 2023 show also named “The Diplomat” that I think is on Freevee.

Jury Duty:

This must have filmed before itysl was released otherwise I would’ve been asking Santa Claus if he was getting paid $2 mil for his role and told the plumber we’re all trying to figure out who did this in the toilet.

Is it good? That’s looked like it has potential from previews.

ITYSL season 3 may 30 on corncob TV.

1 Like

It’s ok. It’s what you would expect. I always have a need for more light watching shows so it was worth a watch for me.

My wife is watching the last thing he told me, it’s an Apple TV show, everyone is using iPhones except the kid, who has an android?

This show kinda sucks fwiw

The phones stick out to me as looking dumb as hell, like they all have fake software. Do the parents have actual iphones? Maybe it’s just because the “android” (not android) phones look so stupid that I assume no one has a sane phone on that show.

1 Like