Television & Movies

yeah it wasn’t bad at all, never really thought “we should give up on this” but also I wouldn’t put this on a top 10 list

seriously? 8/10 shows are skippable now? i rank most current shows in 3-6 range.

There’s so much incredible TV on right now, I can’t even keep up with the S-tier shows anymore.

1 Like

Here’s the list of stuff I think is better than the Diplomat (which I watched fully fwiw) out there right now:

Barry
Yellowjackets
Silo
Poker face
Beef
Succession
Maisel
The last of Us
Mrs Davis

And that’s all stuff that’s released an episode in the last ~30 days. The Diplomat is a good show for sure, Keri Russell is so good at playing characters exactly mission driven enough to take you to the edge of likeability. Mix that character into a less neolibby West Wing set in the US embassy in modern London. Voila an 8/10.

But yeah skippable along with a few other clearly good shows that have come out recently like Bupkis. The bar is pretty high.

Barry got too depressing for me. and it is hard to depress me.

1 Like

Yeah Succession isn’t my cup of tea. I hate most rich people enough already lol.

you couldnt pay me to watch that show

1 Like

I think it’s a very good thing that the very wealthy are getting depicted accurately. But yeah for those of us who have already had plenty of contact with them and hate the idea of suffering their presence without getting paid for even a single second it’s a bit much and not super fun.

I think Succession is the show Billions probably should have been. If you’re going to make a show about rich people in 2023 and you in any way protect the idea that we’re a living in a meritocracy you’re part of the propaganda.

My own views on shows like West Wing, Law and Order (really any show kinder to cops than the wire which itself it turned out was a bit of a white washing), and Billions have really shifted quite sharply over the last few years. I just can’t ignore that propaganda aftertaste anymore.

2 Likes

succession is 5 at best. last of us was ok, probably a 7 for me.

i will probably watch yellowjackets, but partner wasn’t into it. she liked barry, but i didn’t, still we’ll probably still finish last season. maisel also fizzled for me, mostly because they developed annoying characters.

I think what we have here is mostly a scale translation problem. Our numbers mean different things. You also seem to be a bit pickier than me about TV. What’s your favorite TV show? That’ll actually tell me kind of a lot.

1 Like

I don’t see how this relationship can survive.

Just kidding. We have 3 DVRs hers-mine-ours plus I stream

1 Like

:vince:

Help an old out here… What does the “S” in “S-tier” stand for in this context?

2 Likes

All i know is S is the highest ranking tier in Resident Evil games.

Very informative, thanks. (And thanks for not just posting a “Let me Google that for you” link.)

Succession and Last of Us and Andor are S-tier right now. Maybe Poker Face. Not enough time for it with all of the Hong Kong gangster movies I have on my plate.

1 Like

I don’t think I can watch the new season.

Bill Hader actually looks and has similar mannerisms to a friend I know that had a nervous breakdown after his mom died suddenly and tragically.

Super dark humor is amazing until the jokes run out. Thinking about it, i think my soul checked out after he killed one of his best friends.

1 Like

The mario movie was leaked. I’m an hour in and it’s been the fastest hour of my life.

2 Likes