Television & Movies

1 Like

:scream:

Got around to watching CODA. Have not had a movie hit that hard in the feels in a very long time.

2 Likes

Network tv continues to be insanely stupid and terrible.

For reasons that are not important I watched a few minutes of a cop show called (I think) the Rookie.

A woman is in a birthing tub in her master bedroom fully dilated and about to give birth. Her husband is on the phone trying to reach the midwife who’s stuck in traffic. He gets an alert in his phone that a downstairs window is open. The power goes out. “Get my gun!” she says. He retrieves a gun from a thumbprint-locked safe and gives it to her.

He goes downstairs WITHOUT THE GUN to investigate. He is attacked by a masked intruder and they fight.

A second intruder goes upstairs and enters the bedroom to find an empty and completely still pool. He’s looking around and the woman silently rises out of the pool with the gun like goddam Rambo.

They continue to fight downstairs and hear a gunshot. Eventually the husband incapacitates his foe and rushes upstairs to find the second bad guy wounded and held at gunpoint by the wife, who’s sitting on the bed holding the gun in one hand and her swaddled newborn in the other and I swear to fucking god she looks him dead in the eye and says:

“It’s a girl.”

1 Like

Yeah, but you were guessing right up to the end if it was going to be a boy or a girl weren’t you?

do we need another wes anderson movie? I feel like I’ve “got it” at this point.

1 Like

I’ll take the other Wes over Anderson every time

Sounds good to me. :man_shrugging:t3:

Wes …?

Still need to watch S4 of Succession, but The Expanse isn’t going to rewatch itself.

Craven

1 Like

you pay for the seeds, you get to look at the trees

1 Like

https://twitter.com/mathildemerwani/status/1669774774136963087

3 Likes

INCROYAAAAABLE

Good morning fans of Black Mirror :popcorn:

(I made this one)

1 Like

This lit up some long-dormant neurons…

If you are watching Black Mirror and run out of episodes, the 2017 movie Otherlife is indistinguishable from the very best episodes of Black Mirror and could even be seen as a prequel to White Christmas.

A scientist develops a revolutionary drug that alters the brain’s sense of time, creating a virtual reality directly in the user’s mind. The government attempts to take over her project, claiming the drug can solve overcrowded prisons.

To me, this movie shows that what fell flat about

Don’t Worry Darling

wasn’t the tech behind the twist but how the twist was revealed. These movies don’t have anything close to the same story, just in the sense that the premise behind the tech in both movies is sort of similar.

You could also see this as sort of the origins of Total Recall technology if things got kinda goofy lol (the poster, not the tone).

Available for free on Tubi.

Would you add or strike any from the below list in progress?

More Movies/TV Shows For That ****Ed Up Black Mirror Feeling

Synchronic
Vivarium
Primer/Upstream Color
Time Crimes
Ex Machina
The Wave
Advantageous
Parallels
ARQ
Freaks
The Invisible Man
ReMemory
10 Cloverfield Lane
Equals
What Happened to Monday
Predestination
Project Almanac
Stranger Than Fiction
The Midnight Sky
Stowaway
Chronicle
Take Shelter
Transcendence
Looper
Oblivion
The Edge of Tomorrow
Cube
The Tomorrow War
SongBird
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Maggie
The Colony
Snowpiercer
Sliding Doors
Daniel Isn’t Real
Archenemy
Ultrasound
Quantum Leap evil leaper episodes
The Matrix: Reloaded
Sunshine
Searching/Missing
Dashcam
Mortal
Special
Super
Vivarium
The Invitation
The Perfection
The Perfect Host
Border
Goodnight, Mommy
The Other Lamb
Pure
Jodorowsky’s Dune
Bodied
The Fountain
Coming Home in the Dark
The Power
Midsommer
Arrival
V/H/S
Jagged Mind
Clock
Let the Right One In
Rattlesnake
Unseen
Get Out
Nope
Key and Peele: “Family Matters Behind the Scenes”
The Endless
Coherence
Annihilation
Event Horizon
Upgrade
Dark City
Triangle
Underwater
Being John Malkovich
Moon
Mulholland Drive
Enemy
Under the Skin
Camgirl

3 Likes

Of the ones I’ve seen, I might remove Take Shelter? It’s kind of a psychological thriller that didn’t super hit that “fucked up” kind of vibe for me, it felt more like it was about faith. That’s a great list though, lots of good stuff on there and I should watch more of the ones I haven’t seen.

I might add Vanilla Sky (also continuing with the Tom Cruise theme of Oblivion / Edge of Tomorrow), and maybe some earlier Nolan movies (Memento, The Prestige).

Also, a movie I imagine no one saw that your post reminded me of (I only watched it because my dad is into stuff like this too, and as a retiree he and my mom really used to scrape the bottom of the barrel of what DVDs they could rent from Blockbuster & Netflix cause they watch lots of movies, so he saw this and recommended it to me): Sublime. (lol straight-to-DVD and starring Tom Cavanagh, I did kinda like it though!)

2 Likes

Also…

Primer I have a weird relationship with because it felt brilliant at the same time as being completely inscrutable, like it had such a thorough and realistic-feeling description of time travel that it was difficult to keep track of how everything was working. (see also: Tenet! once you accept its wild premise anyway)

But that said I didn’t know the guy made another movie, and I’m scared to read too much about it for spoilers, is it good? Definitely intrigued to watch.

3 Likes

Oh goofy.

Oh goofy.

If you loved Primer, like if it resonated that deeply with you, Upstream Color is a movie you should get an edible and just let the movie overwhelm you.

It is everything I loved about Primer while feeling like it added an emotional depth I didn’t know Shane Carruth was capable of evoking.

I think I might put that on tonight!! Been just long enough.

2 Likes