Television & Movies

Very much agreed about Vanilla Sky and the Spanish film it was based on. I think that was peak Cameron Crowe, at least until he makes a sequel to Almost Famous about the older sister. The musical doesn’t count.

Sublime looks awesome wow. And it stars Tom Cavanaugh!!! Reverse Flash strikes again.

I love Kathleen York but mostly for her music after “In the Deep” for the I’m sure still controversial Oscar winner Crash.

And who could forget her as Toby’s ex wife in West Wing lol

1 Like

Have only seen like 10% of those, so definitely can’t strike anything from the list.

I’d say none of these would feel out of place as part of the Black Mirror franchise:

• Children of Men
  • Her
  • The Lobster
  • The Truman Show
2 Likes

Hell yeah those are great.

I think if you allow for melancholy endings like Her and Truman Show, gotta also add Pleasantville.

More like MELANCHOLIA amirite?

(middling category fit but A+ pun opportunity)

1 Like

Lmao but you know what that also would make a terrific inclusion on the list! The rarely accessible Von Trier movie.

1 Like

Then it’s time to watch Twilight Zone imo.

2 Likes

If you are watching Twilight Zone and need help selecting which episodes feel most like Black Mirror, McTrollson makes these recommendations…

Depends on the Black Mirror episode, they’re kinda varied IIRC.

1 Like

You can’t really go wrong just starting S1E1 of the Zone and proceeding; lot of bangers in Season 1 and the first ep is for sure a banger.

1 Like

Fair enough.

I think I have seen every iteration of Twilight Zone. I will do a deep dive to find the ones that match what I perceive as that Black Mirror flavor :+1:

Let the rabbit holes begin!

A podcast I listened to a few days ago referenced the baseball episode of Twilight Zone with the robot pitcher so I had to rewatch, it’s great. Really strong acting in a very silly situation.

1 Like

That’s a good one.

I think like you said the first episode is a good inclusion, as well as the movie remake and then the TV reimagining with Adam Scott for the Jordan Peele seasons.

They fit the Black Mirror dynamic best for me when it’s easy to see how the same thing could happen to any one of us today or tomorrow if just one tiny thing were added.

Which usually means that even if you win, there’s a devastating cost. So sci-fi-centric horror?

Got a new setup of this game to play with the kids. They fucked with the rules. Had to look up the original rules online.

Watching latest season of Black Mirror. So far first three episodes are great, ep 1 legit all timer. Episode 4 might be the single worst episode of the entire series.

1 Like

Episode 5 was decent, so 4 the only stinker of the season and oh boy was it bad! Season overall had a very different feel to it than the rest of the series. Very little of it was futuristic, and it delves more into the traditional horror genre.

1 Like

Watched Wick4 on my plane yesterday. Why was it soooooo long for one trick at the end that was totally telegraphed.

They should literally have an intermission so the theaters can sell more concessions.

Bloat was all I could think.

There seems to be a run on small romance time travel movies the last few years. Press Play was an enjoyable way to spend 1:25 over the Atlantic. RT 65% seems right. Lead seemed too young for the role-her acting was fine.

Not as good as The Map of Tiny Perfect Things or Palm Springs (I really liked and usually Samberg doesn’t do much for me but was very good here).

1 Like

A psychiatrist’s sanity is pushed to the edge when a patient with amnesia insists he has died and has come back from the other side with something terrible.

Recently discovered his third movie The Dead Center and it too was weird af and will require multiple viewings to appreciate

2 Likes

Great article + interview with the director about Jury Duty:

1 Like

See if yours made the list.

1 Like

Yeah, fuck Disney. Now I have an excuse to not watch all the Marvel shows I haven’t watched.

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1671705313580576768?s=20

FzIvaukacAEStm6

Good God, is this the crap they’re going to produce now?