Television & Movies

The Bear season 2 is here :vince1:

With near-perfect reviews :vince:

First 2 episodes were ok, i want cooking though dammit not Restaurant Impossible.

1 Like

Episode 4 (I think, it’s Marcus in Copenhagen ) is fantastic imo

Watched this last night and tempted to agree (though I’m not going to re-watch Waldo Moment or Ashley Too and re-compare).

I actually liked this a lot for the first 25-30 minutes before the idiotic reveal that she’s a werewolf.

2 Likes

I felt let down by that one, too, though the ending really is fascinating from a pop culture lens.

Charlie Brooker was inspired to write season 6 while consuming every possible true crime resource during the pandemic.

Episode 4 was written based on what he imagined it was like to be Britney Spears as she watched her own Netflix documentary.

1 Like

Yeah, it shows. I’m not really convinced this was actually a season of Black Mirror. Feels more like a horror/sci-fi spin-off. The only one that felt genuinely Black Mirror-ish was Joan is Awful. (Could make a case for Beyond the Sea)

I thought the setup was really cool. The werewolf thing did nothing for me. Why do that? She could have just gone on a maniacal killing spree and it would have accomplished the same thing, no?

1 Like

Right. I think I could have gotten into the reveal, it’s just that it felt so far out of left field, like the ending of a Goosebumps novel. Not cheating exactly, but fair? IDK. I am in the storytelling camp that thinks a good reveal needs to feel surprising yet inevitable.

The two movies I liked for sort of swinging for the same thing were Nightcrawler (for the paparazzi protagonist) and Black Bear (for the struggling artist).

The twist in the first half of the trailer for Black Bear alone is one hell of a ride. And that’s not even the biggest twist!!!

2 Likes

For me, the kind of payoff that would have worked for that setup would have involved:

some sort of weirdo camera tech that allowed her to “freeze frame” whoever she was photographing[, or something that allowed her to switch her consciousness

and then it comes back to bite her.

Sort of like in the Jordan Peele era of Twilight Zone with the episode “The Who of You” about an out-of-work actor who decides to rob a bank but suddenly develops the ability to swap bodies with whoever he makes eye contact with. His freedom depends on convincing everyone he is the same person as whoever’s body he’s possessing.

Especially since it’s Black Mirror.

I realize that we’re dealing with self-contained stories, but it’s still supposed to be Black Mirror. There’s an expectation of…not that kind of stuff. If that was on Cabinet of Curiosities, while I still don’t think the reveal would have been good, I’d be complaining less.

I think your payoff could have worked. It would certainly have been better than the one we got.

1 Like

Three episodes into Black Mirror I’m starting to sense that the first episode was the first episode because it was the best episode. And I wouldn’t put it on a top 10 black mirror episode list… and there haven’t been that many black mirror episodes.

Guys just admit you weren’t willing to pay to keep the gang together and the operation has been picked clean. Wrap it up. The actors have gotten bigger every season but the writing/directing has gone the other direction rapidly. I know a brain drain when I see one.

1 Like

When you’re finished plz watch my video breakdown on season six with AI performances by Gwyneth Paltrow and Charlie Brooker

Update: episode 6! Wow!!

1 Like

7!

:vince:

just got through episode 4 that one was great

The conversation about the show from chefs on Twitter has me suddenly ready to watch lol

2 Likes

1 Like

If any of y’all aren’t yet hyped af for Barbie…

We’re gonna cover a lot of topics, so here’s your TOC. Make sure to read the Streamberry fine print!

• Is The Barbie Movie Secretly A Sequel To The Matrix?
  • Will Ferrell: the Architect of capitalism and all that is evil
  • The 2003 MTV Movie Awards
  • The hero’s arc doesn’t require Barbie to be “The One”
  • PS. Ken gets his own “Matrix” arc too
  • Every other Barbie (and Ken — and Allan!) you can expect to see
  • Barbies you WON’T see
  • Early reactions to Barbie
  • What other movies does Barbie reference?
  • The music of Barbie
  • While I’ve got your attention, please find a screening near you of Black Barbie: A Documentary
  • Easter Egg Barbie

This movie better break $1 billion

2 Likes

Man, I love movies where Will Ferrell is the villain.

1 Like

I made a video version (that’s me whistling!).