Television & Movies

I was a bit letdown in terms of intrigue.

Something something North Koreans. Killed one of our own to cover it up. Willing to kill several more of our own, involving a dozen guys cause they’ll never talk. C plot compared to the A plot of season 2

Lamb does Home Alone stuff was A+. The Slough house 4 vs the baddies also fun.

So I enjoyed it, but felt more like Reds or the Expendables than SH.

yeah this is a good summary

Started reading the Slow Horses books and am liking it as much as the series, I’ll have to watch S1 again when I finish to see what’s what, but it is nice getting more details about back stories for the minor characters.

jesus ep 3-4 were intense

“those eggs look like SHIT!” lol
we needed that tension breaker so bad

1 Like

Finished severance. They know how to do a cliffhanger. Really couldn’t figure out how they were going to set up a S2 and that finale was amazing.

3 Likes

Season was great but it was wild to me how much the plot advanced in like 30 minutes in the finale. Kablam.

yeah I was thinking about that, I wonder if they actually had a different ending in mind and then had to change it up to set up a second season

it almost feels like they had a 10th episode planned and that would be it, and they chopped out a lot of stuff from what would have been parts of 8 9 and 10 (basically, everything after the waffle party?) to leave the 2nd season wide open

Imagine if this had any significant marketing campaign.

Gotta be top 5% of super hero and monster type movies.

Have wanted to go again, now will wait for /c version.

1 Like

Random complaint: watching the final season of The Crown, and (spoiler alert!) in episode 3 Diana dies, episode 4 is about the immediate reaction, and episode 5 (which was the first episode of “part 2”, as they weirdly split the final season into two four-episode segments released a month apart) opens on Prince William. He’s…older? Wait, he’s being played by a different actor now?

So I’m like “okay, message received: we’ve jumped forward in time”. Except wait no it’s like two months after the last episode ended? He’s returning to school after Diana’s death? They got one actor to play William at age 15 and another to play him at…age 15.5??? Plus the first actor is actually age-appropriate while the replacement, who again is portraying a 15 year old, is in his mid-twenties.

Then a redhead kid shows up, and you’re like “who the fuck is that” but then context clues quickly emerge saying OH MY GOD THEY DID IT TO HARRY TOO. The last time we saw Harry - again, this is one episode prior, and maybe two months younger in age - he looked like a small child, and they gave him a new actor that has him doubled in size into an awkward gangly adolescent. This casting decision is wild!

1 Like

Omg I went through the exact same stages of confusion (oh it must be a couple years later wait it’s only days later whaaaa??)

Also I never knew or had forgotten that William was at one point some kind of Elvis-like sex symbol. :harold:

1 Like

The casting for the Kate Middleton character is offensive. Not often is the actress way less attractive than the real person!

I think I’m all in on true detective S4

Someone sell me on True Detective. Why should I watch it? It’s like a moody detective show and one guy says insufferable mystical stuff a lot?

How many episodes have there been so far? I’m going to wait until they’re halfway through to start watching.

It’s an anthology series, each season has different characters and setting.

S1 was great, I don’t remember much about the other seasons.

iirc (it’s been years), S2 was pretty bad, S3 was better. Reviews back this up:

I remembered Vince Vaughn and Taylor Kitsch being unwatchable in S2 and had lost any memory until seeing Wikipedia of Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams being the main characters.

2 Likes

S1 elite tier TV must watch
S2 not very good but I watched it all
S3 not bad, worth a watch

1 Like

this season has jodie foster as one of the moody detectives

the insufferable mystic this season looks like it’s not a lead character but a (so far) minor log lady

I haven’t seen S2 fwiw, I enjoyed S1 though thought it was definitely insufferable at times, I saw 1 episode of S2 and checked out, thought S3 was as good or maybe better than S1.

honestly not sure if this is actually True Detective S4 or if they’re considering this S1 of a new show (there’s no connection to Nic Pizzalato anymore other than he has an executive producer credit for creating the show) and the show runner brought this idea to HBO and then they decided to make it with the “True Detective” label. It definitely FEELS like the same show as S1.

In any case, E1 is probably enough for you to sample and figure out if you’re going to be into it or not.

Might pick up S4 from Blockbuster.