The Convictions of Donald J. Trump: lol

WARP SPEED

1 Like

The reason NY stopped sequestering juries is actually kind of funny. Had nothing to do with the legal issues and everything to do with not wanting to fund overtime costs for court officers.

we stayed in a pretty new Hyatt Centric downtown. I think our jury + the sheriff deputies assigned to our jury had the whole floor since I never saw any other guests, there was at least two other juries in the same hotel with us (we weren’t allowed to talk to them, but we saw them in the mornings boarding the bus to the courthouse).

I can see this, it’s gotta be ridiculous, we had I think 8 deputies assigned to our jury and they stayed with us the entire time, went to all meals with us etc.

It was his own attorney that brought this up.

2 Likes

We got him.gif

1 Like

Oh yeah, don’t worry, he’ll get right on paying that.

https://x.com/mattbruenig/status/1790748474268410104?s=46&t=45vgHoZvsEXz2aWNi8tmcw

Probably the best argument for having trump on trial now

ETA- gd it just saw they’re debating next month.

Just saw that the defense rested but the jurors probably won’t start deliberating until after Memorial Day? Guess you have to allow for maximum time for the jurors to disqualify themselves or be bought off or intimidated. That seems wild to me in a state court trial.

The explanation I heard was that he doesn’t want them to hear closing arguments and instructions and then have to wait 3 days to start deliberating, which seems somewhat reasonable. But it would be better if they were sequestered I guess.

Seems like even with closing arguments, haggling over jury instructions, and actual giving of instructions, the jury could have the case after lunch tomorrow. Maybe the court is closed on Friday, I don’t know.

Aprox how long would they let the jurors deliberate if they can’t all eventually agree?

No way, jury instructions and closings is taking 1-2 days, closer to 2 than 1.

Forever. Juries only deadlock when the jurors tell the court they are deadlocked, and even then they are given an Allen charge or two telling them to keep trying.

I guess I asked wrong. Whats is the ~median length of deliberation in cases where a hung jury (or whatever it’s called) is ruled?

What is this?

A charge with 6 sides bent into an L IIRC.

5 Likes

I assume it’s “please try a little harder” :pray:

https://x.com/whispermeluck/status/1793016409930563849?s=46