The Convictions of Donald J. Trump: lol

Have you talked to her about whether her opinion might change if a jury of 12 finds him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt?

The entire trial is a sham. He’s done nothing wrong! Biden witch hunt! Her cousin who hates Trump also agrees it’s a sham and he hates Trump! I need to hear him out because I’m just a naive moron.

If convicted what sort of sentence would you expect if he were an important non-presidential person like congressman or something?

It’s really hard because part of what makes this so bad is who he is and the fact that he did it in the context of a presidential election. Someone with no priors with a run of the mill falsifying business records conviction because they’re stealing who goes to trial and loses? I don’t know, maybe 6 months jail and 5 years probation? Maybe avoiding the jail if they make restitution? For this kind of crime though? For someone who is so fucking unrepentant that he is not only attacking the prosecution, and the judge, and for fucks sake the judge’s daughter? Who gets held in contempt 10 fucking times?!? No fucking idea, there’s no analog.

Edit: No, I thought about it some more. Given the last three sentences of my paragraph above I think any normie who does that in the lead up to, during, and after a trial where they are convicted of felonies is going to prison.

This reminded me of something was wondering about awhile back, can remorse/etc impact sentencing after someone pleads not guilty? Like aren’t they saying they didn’t do it so by definition can’t be remorseful?

It’s the catch-22 of every defendant convicted after trial when they get to sentencing. Remorse absolutely mitigates the sentence. If they accept responsibility and apologize for their crime they theoretically get credit in the eyes of the sentencing judge and that is taken into account. If they don’t, then they don’t get that credit.

So it’s kind of accepted that you can fully defend your false innocence and then after being convicted accept responsibility and apologize, then the judge weighs your sincerity? Or do you have to kind of hedge in some way during the actual initial trial?

It’s a spectrum. If you plead guilty at the outset and accept responsibility immediately in theory that does more to show you accepting responsibility than having a trial and accepting responsibility at sentencing. On the other hand you can’t hold the fact that someone exercised their right to a trial against them, so it’s supposed to be analyzed from the perspective of giving someone credit for accepting responsibility versus punishing them for failing to accept responsibility. And if that sounds like bullshit, well I can’t really argue much.

Also there’s a big difference between “defending your false innocence” and “forcing the prosecution to prove your guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.” A defendant who testifies at trial (which is rare) can doubly fuck themselves in this way if they do so and the jury finds they’re full of shit and the judge finds that as well.

Yeah, although I’m less skeptical of it than you might think. I see the societal benefit of not normalizing that everyone accused of a crime immediately needs to admit to it in order to have any chance of a “fair” sentence.

This all reads like “literally nothing”.

Am I wrong?

He might have to start reporting to a probation officer. That would be funny.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense, like to me it’s not mutually exclusive to plead the 5th and still be genuinely remorseful but hoping the case isn’t strong enough

Okay, so I’m not wrong and this is meaningless?

What I’m reading is that this is a total freeroll for Trump.

Hung jury/acquitted = total exoneration, deep state, so unfair
Convicted = no consequences

We all say nothing matters, but anyone claiming that headlines of Trump being convicted of a felony has no negative impact on him is just trying to look like a nihilistic badass IMHO

2 Likes

Maybe?

Convictions only matter if you are applying for a real job; doesn’t come up for grifting or President of the United States of America.

Would he not be allowed to leave the state in this case?

Lol. Most probationers get that condition (that they need to get permission to leave the state), but I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that won’t apply to him. Actually, the probation would probably transfer to FL through the interstate compact since that’s where he lives, and I’m sure FL wouldn’t make him do anything. Anyway, this is a fun thought experiment. It’ll probably be a hung jury.