The Presidency of Not So Jacked Up Joe Biden: We Beat Medicare!

Over 80% of Biden voters in 2020 under 45 in purple states think the economy sucks right now. That is an absolutely bonkers number for someone trying to get re-elected.

Either:

1. They are wrong
  2. The metrics are wrong

Either way, how can you say “the economy is great” with those numbers? It’s completely out of touch.

There’s a way to do it without saying “you’re wrong”. You can easily message positive things that aren’t combative towards other people’s feelings. People’s feelings on the economy lag the actual economy, and you absolutely cannot cede this space to republicans. Things are too good and Biden did too good of a job to give up on it.

Not to mention this doesn’t require abandoning other messages like abortion and whatnot.

Don’t even bother on the economy, abortion Abortion ABORTION

5 Likes

So then why do:

?

Yeah, this.

It’s like there’s one weird trick, someone told them what it is, and they still don’t want to use it.

Because consumer sentiment lags and the messaging has been left to republicans so far. Those numbers are why it’s important to push Bidens accomplishments.

Frankly I’m confused as how being sensitive to voters thinking things are bad means you can’t point out new data showing things are good. I don’t see the problem you do

I’m sure this is a super rudimentary view but at some level the fact that unemployment is low is inherently going to make shit cost more for everyone because more people have ability to pay for it? So obviously any given individual rather not be unemployed but assuming you have a job more unemployment actually lowers your costs?

Biden hammering employment is idiotic because we are at late stage capitalism. Sure people have jobs but look what everything fucking costs.

Just scream about abortion . Stop trying to piss on people and tell them it’s raining.

Wages are outpacing inflation

Who exactly are you trying to convince with this data?

Was about to use this exact phrase but Riverman beat me to it.

If people (especially your voters from 2020 in swing states that you desperately need in order to win 10 months from now) think that the economy sucks. Then guess what? The economy fucking sucks.

Go find out why those people think that and start fixing it. And then shut the fuck up about it until those numbers among your own supporters get in the universe of 50%. Meanwhile talk about abortion and democracy and shit like that where you might connect with people.

Is Biden actually going around trying to spike football on economy at campaign events?

For who?

Sweet wages up 4% inflation 3% health care up 17% paying 9% on student loans GTFO

1 Like

I don’t know. Hopefully not.

Actual real wage increases have been better in lower to mid incomes. Please note real, as in adjusted for inflation

No one is paying 9% on student loans. Recent reforms cap how much you pay to a percentage of income and interest doesn’t accumulate

The data is practically meaningless at this point after decades of tweaks to make it paint a better picture. The reality for the bottom 50% or 75% is not good, especially for people under 40 who don’t own homes.

Things are good for the rich. I can’t remember the last time I made a leisure purchase other than a Christmas gift for my wife and parents, and our budget for those was as low as possible. Probably around our wedding (early October) when we didn’t have a choice with her family in from Brazil.

The more Biden tries to tell me how great the economy is for me, the more likely he is up lose me. He has my begrudging vote for not being Trump.

And I know I’m not alone on the struggle bus because I see a lot more short buyins at the poker table.

1 Like

For us they are. For the bottom 20-30% they are (although that segment is getting CRUSHED by rent/food which make up a MUCH larger share of their income than food/housing is weighted in the CPI basket). For 30-90% it’s definitely worse.

Trust me on this there are really extremely legitimate criticisms of our current economic metrics. They’re absolutely dogshit barely correlated with lived human experience for the bottom ~80% or so. Honestly not really correlated with the lived experience at the top either because it’s literally always sunny up there.

This is simply not true.

Anyways, seems like Biden won’t have to do much to convince people things are better

https://x.com/jstein_wapo/status/1748361780907188496?s=46&t=N0_fcOKIYYmlCS2e4YShsQ

Another really good thing Biden has done

https://x.com/secyellen/status/1748434625385349223?s=12

That is one side of the equation, but the value of their wage is < the value of the goods or services they produce. So more employment increases both demand and supply and shouldn’t affect prices directly in the way you describe.

Again I am quite sure telling people who think the economy sucks for them that it’s actually super fucking awesome is the single worst possible messaging strategy for Joe Biden.

4 Likes