The Right's (and centrist/liberal media's) war on trans people

1 Like

The mayor of a city on the Oregon coast has apologized and resigned over offensive content he posted in a private Facebook group for current and retired police officers.

The police chief in the central coast city of about 10,000 and the Lincoln County sheriff also condemned Sawyer’s posts.

We’re all trying to find the guys who did this!

1 Like

This Slate article confirms everything I intuitively felt about the new sex trafficking movie Sound of Freedom and how it intersects with declining lgbtq support in recent years. I also didn’t know Caviezel was such a QAnon freak.

Perhaps mass-distributed misinformation about child abductions wouldn’t be so bad, except we know that overblown fears of this kind of practice lead to widespread paranoia and societal scapegoating. It has in many ways engulfed our political reality. The producers of Sound of Freedom may be well intentioned, but they must also know that their film is feeding into a dangerous and deluded mindset that millions of Americans have come to share. Since 2020, panic about children’s sexual corruption has become a political boogeyman wielded by politicians, especially on the right.

Remember Pizzagate? It wasn’t the first time the country had become gripped by a moral panic over the belief in nonexistent child-sex-trafficking rings. But it was the first time it had happened in the era of social media, and the conspiracy theory grew out of control, eventually helping spawn QAnon. Soon enough, other cultural anxieties could be filtered through this theory of mass child trafficking: Supporting gay children became grooming them. The resurgence in vilification of LGBTQ+ Americans is directly related to these conspiracy theories about child-sex-trafficking rings—and the ballooning effect has created a dangerous reality for LGBTQ+ adults and children.

1 Like

I like how they say ‘in the social media era’, the satanic panic in the 80s put people in jail. It was worse imo.

Drag bans coming to Ohio maybe.

Good mask-off moment reminding us that the people who wrap themselves in the flag of “protect women’s sports” do not actually care about women’s sports

3 Likes

“WhAtS tHe PoInT oF uS wOmEnS sOcCeR?”

And the point is also this, but then again this is obviously the part this asshole has a problem with.

These conservative assholes know that a world where women can be strong and independent instead of being subjugated by society to a less than equal role is a world where they are incels because no woman would tolerate their bullshit, where they make less money because a harder working and/or more talented woman may take their job, and where they are a relic of the past.

Nothing in the realm of national teams gives me more joy than watching the USWNT win, because they’re awesome AND they trigger the shit out of right wingers AND they’re inspiring the next generation.

I mean these clowns love America so damn much they want to disband our best national team… Lollllll

3 Likes
1 Like

A conservative legal group led by former Trump Administration official Stephen Miller

:harold:

if he spontaneously combusted, no one would mourn

For Rose, a mother of two, the issue hits home in other ways. “To get a little personal, I wanted to take my family down to Florida for a Disney World trip,” she says. “Well, I can’t do that now. And unfortunately, my kids have to suffer, because they could be taken away from me. That is absolutely insane to say, but that’s the case."

This hits @Jman220 in the feels

1 Like

Merrick Garland actually doing something good:

1 Like

Hard-hitting journalism from Fox News:

minotaur

1 Like

If I was a kid I would troll the shit out of Fox News by telling everyone I was a minotaur or catboy or whatever.

At first I thought this was some “litter boxes in classrooms” made up nonsense but in context the doctor is talking about kids who may express different genders simultaneously (one upper, one lower) which doesn’t seem that unreasonable.

Obviously foxnews is only pretending to take it hyper-literally as click-bait (and outrage-bait).

Ugh. I had three separate poker tables today where some dipshits where bitching about “the transvestites running the education system now”. Going on and on about how you cant send your kids to public school anymore because they are teaching them to be gay and to change genders. All three conversations hit the same propaganda talking points, so I just assumed Fox or one of the other rwnj outlets was pushing some hot garbage last night or this morning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/08/19/georgia-teacher-katie-rinderle-fired-book/

486a7383-ba81-4f8f-9c8f-0e0d1a91358d_text

094fc2c4-e269-481e-9d50-bf5bf37c717f_text

3 Likes

Woman in lake arrowhead community shot to death by this nutjob whose last twitter post was this:

https://x.com/travisikeguchi/status/1668706548158468096?s=46&t=C73aQkLFqavVJ_rck5d1BA

the reason was that she was flying a rainbow flag outside her store and wouldnt take it down. jesus christ.

this anti lgbtq rhetoric has a body count that’s gonna continue to pile up.

2 Likes