The Supreme Court: Clarence & Ginni Thomas Jet Set Edition

As if anything would happen if they listed:

“Non-interest bearing loan forgivable at death from Harlan Crow: $100,000,000”

Why even bother? What’s actually going to happen to them if they don’t hand in these forms?

Some guy named Norm breaks his arm or something.

A rare voting rights win from the Roberts court.

4 Likes

imo this is proof that making political arguments about the court works. Roberts is running scared, that’s the only explanation for him joining the liberals here and dragging Kavanaugh with him.

2 Likes

Sometimes these guys flip on issues for weird reasons. Like how Scalia will occasionally have a good stance on privacy or whatever.

And Gorsuch is good on Native American issues, but those are generally consistent idiosyncracies of individual judges. John Roberts? That dude HATES voting rights. Hates them! I cannot see this decision as anything other than his “fighting for the legitimacy & prestige of the court” side defeating his “boy do I fucking hate the VRA” side.

I’m only now getting around to reading more about this stuff at lunch and it looks like jbouie agrees with me:

absolutely this is affecting roberts and his approach but the thing is, in a case like this, you get zero credit for preserving what’s left of voting rights, that’s just the bare minimum expectation, this does nothing to undo all the other damage to the VRA that Roberts in particular has championed and does nothing to repair the reputation. It just stops the bleeding for a brief moment.

2 Likes

I mean, he’s about to come for a few more liberal darlings with a steel chair over then next week or so, each one nailed with ludicrous reasoning. That’s what people will remember.

1 Like

Yeah, this. I predict it will go like this:

Roberts: Ok, black folks, you can still vote, but you can’t go to college.

What stops states from just refusing to draw fair maps, Ohio style?

In this case the courts will just step in and draw the maps for them if they don’t. I didn’t follow the specifics of the Ohio case so I’m not sure why the state supreme court didn’t do that there. Also there they just had to run out the clock until after the 2022 elections when they would get a conservative majority on that court that would give their maps the thumbs up.

1 Like

1 Like

eDems LOVE this court. Always have, always will.

This is dope:

https://twitter.com/WeDemandJustice/status/1669077092502323201

Manchin voted no, cry more bitch. The top reply here is this tear-filled conservative:

https://twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1669078095813578752

I recommend clicking through to watch the Judicial Crisis Network scare ad they made because it makes him look cool as fuck

Hell yeah, more judges like this

2 Likes

How did they get him through then? Did they get a Republican to vote yes on this radical leftist?

That’s the power of gaining a seat in 2022.

You can give Manchin a performative no vote and still get the confirmation done without any Republican help.

4 Likes

I completely forgot we were at 51 now. My head was still thinking 50/50.

I had the exact same reaction as you when I first saw that, I forgot we picked up 51.