The Supreme Court: Clarence & Ginni Thomas Jet Set Edition

biden has been amazing for foreign policy, just incalculably waaaaaay above replacement value, and a LOT of the domestic failure has been congressional, but Biden absolutely could have gone Dark Brandon mode and put more pressure on Chuck and Nancy to get more done.

1 Like

You know who gets a bad rap?

1 Donald Trump

2 You know why?

3 Because he fucking deserves a bad rap

3 Likes

Ehhhh…

Good for him for showing some personal growth but let’s not get too carried away here.

2 Likes

Very fair. I don’t read him in the Times and my exposure is almost exclusively through his appearances on the Newshour, where he is unfailingly civil and reasonable (which allows him to keep coming back).

He’s never going to change on issues of religion and especially (what he sees as) morality. But even in the piece quoted above he’s at least being reasonable* and I think there’s some value in having conservative intellectuals that value civility and reasonableness, and who are able to model a complete separation between his brand of “compassionate conservatism” and support for Trump.

*“Reasonable” in the sense of making a good-faith effort to find the right balance between competing interests.

1 Like

ehhhh I don’t know, like maybe “bad faith” is the wrong way to describe this but I think he’s enough of a partisan hack that he’s not really trying to find the right balance so much as he’s trying to defend his interests and making up excuses to do so. Like, if the Dodgers had hosted Wayne LaPierre, there would be a lot of outrage but would David Brooks have written this same column about how the Dodgers shouldn’t get involved in culture wars? Probably not.

He might not even be aware of this, like I think it’s very natural for people to go through that kind of mental exercise above (people are doing stuff I don’t like → they should stop → I can’t just say it’s because I don’t like it though → oh great, here are some limiting principles that make my position look much better) without even thinking about it, and I don’t give the guy who writes about morality after ditching his wife for his 25-years-younger former assistant that much credit for self-awareness. So maybe you can’t blame him too much if he thinks he’s doing the reasonable, good-faith thing you describe.

2 Likes

Dodgers should shut up and dribble.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, that’s totally legit. These companies are often a mess and lose papers, etc. The problem is you have to file a lawsuit in federal court, which is a high bar for your average student loan holder.

So is it possible for the Rs to preemptively sue to stop them from forgiving the debt via new method or they have to wait until it officially becomes a policy? Now that education department has all the info about people who applied previously feel like they should day 1 it’s announced ship letters to millions people saying loans forgiven/update credit monitors/etc and then make scotus try to put that genie back in bottle

Standing is apparently no longer a thing so who knows. It’s Calvinball all the way.

Within a few years our Supreme Court overlords won’t even wait for Congress to pass laws, they’ll just be making up their own rules out of thin air

It really is staggering that, like, the TX anti-abortion bounty law was treated by SCOTUS as some super interesting legal theory (they refused to issue an injunction stopping it from going into effect iirc) because, how could anyone have standing to sue? Everyone took it for granted that you needed a real injury to have standing, and no abortion clinic or doctor would have such an injury until putting themselves into a situation where they could get sued into oblivion and only then could we find out whether the law was constitutional or not.

But then this Geocities-ass Karen comes around with the fakest of fake cases and SCOTUS bends over backwards like “yes, of course Karen, anything you need, we’re here for you.” Same with the student loan cases where the states absolutely did not have standing to sue, but “standing” is only a problem for liberals.

I mean, we have an unstoppable force (SCOTUS making increasingly absurd decisions in service of conservative grievances) and an immovable object (Biden’s unshakable faith in the sanctity of the court), but the latter doesn’t want to get in the way of the former, so we just get to see SCOTUS accelerate to the right until their relativistic infinite momentum induces a gravitational collapse that kills us all.

:vince1:

An MJS + Dahlia Lithwick joint:

This is a particularly good point about how well the conservatives manipulate the media that I don’t think I’ve seen before:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/leahlitman/status/1676301754324111360?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

1 Like

Already working as intended.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/07/05/missouri-biden-judge-censorship-ruling-analysis/

Great jbouie piece about the way conservatives use Justice Harlan’s dissent in Plessy v. Ferguson disingenuously:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1674800568328675330

This is a huge part of the best way to get broad political support to pack the court. “The justices took luxurious gifts from a billionaire who lobbied to overturn student loan forgiveness, then overturned it, ripping $20,000 out of your pockets for a billionaire. This Court is corrupt, illegitimate, and must be packed.”

Progressives should be hammering that point and Dobbs as their main selling points for SCOTUS reform. Repeat that shit on loop for years.

More prime jbouie, this time on how Roberts opinions talk about race without racism:

non-paywall link

3 Likes

Serwer on Thomas’s bonkers affirmative action concurrence and what it exposes about the lie of “originalism”:

non-paywall link

2 Likes