The Supreme Court: Clarence & Ginni Thomas Jet Set Edition

Jay Willis on target as usual:

While every conservative bugaboo lawsuit gets filed in the Northern District of Texas, look at this bullshit:

U.S. District Judge Liles Burke, a Trump appointee, has been overseeing the challenge to Alabama’s ban on gender-affirming medical care for minors, Boe v. Marshall . At the same time, after Burke raised questions about whether the decisions to dismiss earlier cases initially brought against the ban — Walker v. Marshall and Ladinsky v. Ivey — constituted forum shopping, the chief judges of each district in Alabama appointed a three-judge panel to conduct a secretive and extensive investigation, known as In re Amie Adelia Vague , into the nearly 40 lawyers involved in the various challenges to the law.

https://x.com/kylegriffin1/status/1793386361136861673?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

https://x.com/chrislhayes/status/1793387368692502698?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

1 Like

lol how online and brain-rotted does Sam Alito have to be to even know what this flag is

How many more of Alito’s houses do we have to check before we find a let’s go Brandon flag?

Usual reminder that there’s absolutely nothing stopping the Dems from demanding a few SCOTUS impeachments. I know they don’t have the votes, neither did Trump, just pound the table and demand Congress clean the swamp. Fuck, you can even steal Trump’s catchphrase.

The string of decent voting map rulings is over, this case hands a roadmap to any red state that wants to violate the Voting Rights Act: just say you’re splitting up Democrats.

that’s not new, is it? we’ve had explicit rulings before that political party-based gerrymandering is A-OK

Right, maybe what’s new here is that whereas previous cases weren’t so explicitly racial in nature, now the court is giving states a guide to how they can formulate their racial gerrymandering in a way they’ll stamp as OK.

This case had a Thomas solo concurrence that was totally batshit, basically Independent State Legislature stuff gone wild that argues courts can’t challenge maps at all and blaming Brown v. Board:

When we due for PRESIDENTIAL IMMUNITY ruling?

after the election, they are hoping he wins so they can just ignore this

Is that the “normal” timeline based on when case brought or the scotus is radically breaking all norms timeline?

We’ll get the ruling by the end of the term, likely on one of the last couple of days (so end of June). Unfortunately it sounds like the ruling is going to be something along the lines of “official” acts have complete immunity and “private” acts don’t, and they’ll remand it to the lower court to hash that out. If that’s the case it’ll mean another ruling from Chutkan that goes through the full appeals process back up to SCOTUS and by the time it gets to them Trump will be POTUS again and it will all be moot.

https://x.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1794003282307785094

1 Like

How often do you think that Thomas’ and Alito’s clerks think to themselves, “Wow, this opinion is complete shit!”

I assume the numbers are low because they obviously pick like-minded clerks, but maybe it happens sometimes? I’m saying there is a chance.

Great question. It’s tough to say, because I think a lot of draft opinions are written by clerks, so you could imagine some of this stuff comes from a place of Thomas being like, “hey, servant, here’s some crazy shit I think about the constitution, go write up the best argument for this you can come up with” and the clerk then has to go…do that, as best as they can? So to a certain extent I imagine, due to a combination of liking Thomas and their own work in forming the opinion, that it’s hard for them to think too poorly of those opinions.

While I think it used to be the case that you’d have clerks working for justices regardless of ideology or their personal feelings about a justice, it seems like the MAGA movement and the Federalist Society have turned that pipeline into true believers only for the conservative justices.

When my lawbro friends were at that stage of the game, they told me that it was customary to apply to all nine, if you were applying at all. And you obviously took anyone you got.

Wouldn’t shock me if the MAGA clerks applying to everyone too as just another part of the facade of impartiality knowing they would only be selected by one of their own