Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

LOL

Watch ole Leslie puff piece a known charlatan in my field (biofuels/biochem) and his magic machine that made Theranos look reputable.

oh fuck off, 60 Minutes should know better than that.

Realized the image I was thinking of but couldn’t find:

1 Like

Some news in the Fox/Dominion case, with some legal technicalities I don’t fully understand:

According to lawyers, it is very :harold: to lose on motions for summary judgement filed by the plaintiff lol

1 Like

Time to normalize MTG, nice!

They know exactly what they’re doing.

1 Like

Now that she’s divorced, is she going to drop the “Greene” part of her name?

I really don’t like sharing initials with her.

Who the hell would divorce such a person?

NYT published an idiotic op-ed from a former federal prosecutor who’s all like “oh no, Bragg is rushing into this, imagine the terrible precedent it sets”

Jlawok.gif

2 Likes

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/04/03/lesley-stahl-interview-marjorie-taylor-greene-pedophile-slur/

media are going to commit every mistake from 2016 again, and give maga the platforms

CBS anchor Lesley Stahl was shocked to hear that Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene stands firmly behind her frequent claim that Democrats are “pedophiles.” On “60 Minutes,” Stahl pressed Greene on her use of the slur, and the Georgia Republican defiantly responded that it’s the truth: “They support grooming children.”

“They are not pedophiles,” Stahl rejoinedincredulously. “Why would you say that?”

Stahl has been roasted online for granting Greene a plum “60 Minutes” interview, which aired Sunday night. But the real problem with this exchange is that Stahl did not show any signs of understanding the longtime role of the “pedophile” insult in right-wing discourse as an expression of deliberate bigotry against transgender Americans.

The owners of corporate media desperately need the GOP to remain standing as a party to continue the gridlock that guarantees that nothing will fundamentally change. If the GOP collapses, there is chaos as a new party forms, quite possibly to the left of Democrats on several key issues.

They would prefer more Mitt Romneys, or to force MTG towards sanity, but if all else fails they’ll just mainstream her and her fellow nutjobs to preserve the current status quo. They very much prefer controversy over Jewish space lasers and Dem pedophiles to an earnest debate over minimum wage and single payer.

The degree to which Stahl is in on it or a useful idiot is not binary. Probably some form of thinking bipartisan moderation is best because that’s the Kool Aid she’s been drinking, and enough ego to think she could force MTG a step or two towards center. But the reality is that platforming MTG on 60 minutes advances her ideas, career, and gravitas. Stahl knows that, and should be judged accordingly as a journalist.

Jon Stewart is the only one who seems to get it, and he’s not even really a journalist. But he’s also not afraid to ask tough questions and call out stupid answers.

oops

2 Likes

Is this the same clinic that Bari stepped on rakes over last time? Or else how is all her awful reporting on this subject coming specifically out of St. Louis?

I’m not sure. Probably there’s only so many places that focus transgender issues.

Maybe I’m a sweet summer child, but this seems egregious even by the standards of Substack journalism. Like, the subject of your story tells you you’ve got it all wrong and you don’t even mention this person’s account? It’s simply inarguable that her outfit is engaging in knowingly dishonest reporting.

God what a clown. Bari got into the editorial board of the NYT because of connections and managed to fail so hard that she in a place where she might actually get laughed off of substack.