Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

That’s a great media outlet choice.

2 Likes

I love that she doesn’t seem to realize that this situation isn’t salvageable. Her flailing around trying to find an out is absolutely delicious. She’s won her last election lol. Post election her personal brand is radioactive waste in all circles everywhere.

As was pointed out upthread she’s managed to unite America on at least one subject. We definitely do not shoot dogs in 2024.

Sure, lets legitimize anti-vaxers. Why not. What a rag.

1 Like

NYT?

Of course.

I have a friend who insists he’s still feeling debilitating side effects from the vaccine. I can confirm I’m not listening to him.

It’s every bit as stupid as “people think driving without a seat belt is safer, let’s write about them.” Fuck off

Have you all read the article??? It’s actually quite informative

This is general tone of it

The rise of the anti-vaccine movement has made it difficult for scientists, in and out of government, to candidly address potential side effects, some experts said. Much of the narrative on the purported dangers of Covid vaccines is patently false, or at least exaggerated, cooked up by savvy anti-vaccine campaigns.

Questions about Covid vaccine safety are core to Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s presidential campaign. Citing debunked theories about altered DNA, Florida’s surgeon general has [called for a halt] to Covid vaccination in the state.

“The sheer nature of misinformation, the scale of misinformation, is staggering, and anything will be twisted to make it seem like it’s not just a devastating side effect but proof of a massive cover-up,” said Dr. Joshua Sharfstein, a vice dean at Johns Hopkins University.

1 Like

I’ve seen the myocarditis, kid did fine.

hahahaha jesus christ the replies to that original tweet are the most “old man yells at cloud” I’ve ever seen in the wild

https://twitter.com/thomaschattwill/status/1786071581627666504

1 Like

lol:

I think he wrote about, like, hitting his high school girlfriend in one of his memoirs? I guess that was okay? (Spoiler: rap music made him do it)

Also worth pointing out that COVID CAUSES MYOCARDITIS TOO.

FWIW the article did that sort of thing too, I genuinely think it was a good article

—-

Dr. Buddy Creech, 50, who led several Covid vaccine trials at Vanderbilt University, said his tinnitus and racing heart lasted about a week after each shot. “It’s very similar to what I experienced during acute Covid, back in March of 2020,” Dr. Creech said.

Research may ultimately find that most reported side effects are unrelated to the vaccine, he acknowledged. Many can be caused by Covid itself.

“Regardless, when our patients experience a side effect that may or may not be related to the vaccine, we owe it to them to investigate that as completely as we can,” Dr. Creech said.

ETA - will say I find it annoying that seems articles on any medical topic always require extensive retelling of dramatic individual anecdotes but seems a common practice not isolated to this article

2 Likes

I’m sorry, the framing of “let’s take these fucking idiots seriously and kindly debunk them” is bullshit. The only thing to do with antivax morons in print is relentlessly shame them. We’re drawing live to measles coming back here.

Like who are the antivax morons in this article? We know vaccine of all kinds can rarely have devastating (but rare) impacts it’s absolutely not trivial task to try to sort that out and this article is about what makes that tough in USA

But in a recent interview, Dr. Janet Woodcock, a longtime leader of the Food and Drug Administration, who retired in February, said she believed that some recipients had experienced uncommon but “serious” and “life-changing” reactions beyond those described by federal agencies.

“I feel bad for those people,” said Dr. Woodcock, who became the F.D.A.’s acting commissioner in January 2021 as the vaccines were rolling out. “I believe their suffering should be acknowledged, that they have real problems, and they should be taken seriously.”

“I’m disappointed in myself,” she added. “I did a lot of things I feel very good about, but this is one of the few things I feel I just didn’t bring it home.”

Federal officials and independent scientists face a number of challenges in identifying potential vaccine side effects.

The nation’s fragmented health care system complicates detection of very rare side effects, a process that depends on an analysis of huge amounts of data. That’s a difficult task when a patient may be tested for Covid at Walgreens, get vaccinated at CVS, go to a local clinic for minor ailments and seek care at a hospital for serious conditions. Each place may rely on different health record systems.

There is no central repository of vaccine recipients, nor of medical records, and no easy to way to pool these data. Reports to the largest federal database of so-called adverse events can be made by anyone, about anything. It’s not even clear what officials should be looking for.

1 Like

Like the fact we could dump the J&J vaccine for the mRNA ones is a great demonstration of why it important to hunt down and characterize rare side effects. Obviously because of the toxic antivax movement it makes it scarier to be the ones hunting for this stuff but that doesn’t mean we should stop looking

Although I do acknowledge it may be currently Americans just can’t handle any discussion of researching the risks associated with vaccines and discussion needs to be purely isolated to academic circles

I remember this really clouding the issue during the pandemic.

People would say “there’s 100k adverse events reported already!” or whatever but they were almost all just unverified nonsense.

This is my take.

And of course the obvious solution to all these problems is national health care but the NYT will never come out and say that directly.

1 Like