Wookie's Walrus Wreveal

that’s a far worse song than come sail away

You are dead inside. I claim Come Sail Away and I have no ragrets, not even one. You see, it’s actually about aliens in their starship, bruh. This is the nexus of space rock and yacht rock. Philistine.

No D ummmmmm!

2 Likes

I guess there is a time and a place for yacht rock and it isn’t here…

For our second song, I have to confess to @BriansHat that I’m not very good at counting. There were, in fact, four songs that were doubly submitted in addition to the Friday I’m In Love debacle, not 3, and just like the prior 3, I didn’t care for this one, either. To its credit, it’s strongly on theme, and the lyrics are very good. Counting against it, it’s just too damn country. Even MrsWookie, a country fan, wasn’t feeling it. It’s a song I’d much rather read than listen to, so it finds itself here.

Sturgill Simpson - Sea Stories

1 Like

Relieved to know I didn’t submit any other duplicates.

i wonder what would’ve happened had a submitted the bluegrass version of that sturgill song.

it’s become apparent that Wookie and I just have vastly different opinions on music.

because he clearly appreciates garbage.

1 Like

2 Likes

you’ll probably like my last pick, too. it seems to be right in your wheel house.

Our next entry just barely meets the criteria. It does use “Captain,” although it’s technically in a superhero context, rather than a military rank or boat leader. The verses have a nice flow in this one, and I like the beat, but I’ve always found the chorus to be more than a little grating. Yes, that’s by design, as that’s part of the mocking of the titular character of the song, but it doesn’t really make me want to listen to it over and over. Also, the aforementioned wanton misogyny.

E-40 - Captain Save a Hoe

1 Like

Aaaaand there it is :harold: At least it’s all uphill from here, right? Right?

Beginning the top half is a song that is strongly on theme from a band with a decently big following (at least it seems that way in my circles) that I know very little of. It tells a vivid story, and if this song were about 4 minutes long, it might have been a couple of slots higher. But, it’s an 8 minute song, and I really don’t like the vocalist. There’s a certain charm and authenticity to someone who can’t sing all that well singing sea shanties, as surely most sailors weren’t opera singers, but it’s starting to get old at the 6th minute, and there’s still a lot more song left. Can’t say I really want to look into these folks much more if this is the lead singer.

The Decemberists - The Mariner’s Revenge Song

This one was me. I would say you shouldn’t be driven away from exploring more decemberists music based on this one oddball song, but I guess Colin Meloy isn’t for everybody.

Ain’t that the truth

Hi. I’m Tilted and MrWookie hates my music.

3 Likes

Just missing the podium is a song that finally sounds pleasant. I’m not really sure what to write about this song, because I kinda want to like it more than I do. It doesn’t resonate with me all that strongly, though.

Snail Mail - Forever (Sailing)

1 Like

Podium time! Is this song Sheepy? Absolutely. Didn’t sheep, though. It’s good silly fun.

:mirror_ball::mirror_ball::mirror_ball::mirror_ball::mirror_ball:

Hues Corporation - Rock the Boat

2 Likes

Our runner up is a pretty ditty I didn’t know from a band I very much do. It’s right on theme in lyric and sound and style.

Queen - '39

2 Likes

that was mine. damn i thought i’d won this round based on the writeups

1 Like

I don’t think I would have recognized this as a Queen song if the post hadn’t included that information.