Climate and Environment: Cat 5 Hurricane Milton, 165 mph winds

Don’t worry guys, plenty of time left, we don’t need to do anything different yet. Let it all burn it’ll be fine!

South Jersey is blanketed in smoke right now. Mostly from Canadas fires, but also maybe from the NJ wildfires. Literally everythingisfine.gif but for the whole continent.

2 Likes

This was awful by me too. I made the dumb decision to walk a few blocks to get my lunch today. I wore doubled up n95 masks.

Jesus that sounds awful. Friends back home are telling me it’s shit, and showing me how bad the INDOOR air quality is with HEPA purifiers running. Hopefully our MERV-13 and HEPAs are holding up, my fiancee is back home for a couple days. She’s got everything running and commented on the outdoor air but hasn’t said the indoor is an issue.

As I write that she starts messaging me about how horrible it is and how she’s thankful I’m not there with my asthma.

1 Like

It’s bad. I hope I’m safe in my house, I have central AC and it’s pretty buttoned up. Schools are keeping kids indoors (thankfully), etc.

We went to MERV-13 HVAC filters with the smart sensor on them after what happened in East Palestine to make sure we always knew when our filters needed to be changed. Part of my plan if I ever make enough money is to have HEPA level filtration throughout the house because I expect wildfires and/or smoke to be the norm basically everywhere. Also solar with backup batteries because I expect a lot of power outages in the summers.

It looks like the air quality alert on wundergournd.com expires tonight at midnight… I don’t know if that means they think it’s going to be better tomorrow, or it will just be renewed. Would be nice if we could get some fucking rain.

I’m always leery about putting the really intense filters in my system because I feel like that will significantly lower the efficiency of the system and stress it (and eventually break it). I guess I wish I had some lying around right now though.

Check out AirNow.gov, holy shit.

Benefits of being stuck as a renter, I guess. But yeah, that’s a valid concern. Ideally when we buy a house, if I can ever afford it, I’ll get a system put in that can run with HEPA filtration throughout. I’d run the entire home off solar off the grid at that point, so the extra energy usage wouldn’t bother me from that standpoint.

Wow, according to airnow.gov I’m currently at 191 where I live.

Don’t you love the smell of capitalism in the morning?

Where I live is just a tad below you, and Allentown is at 218.

At 1:30 in the afternoon today it looked like it was 8:00 at night.

snowmelt slowing down already. powell is going to end up with more water than last two years, but short of 2020 level. hopefully the water cut agreements hold and next year is another big water year.

This is so bad:

We’re staying indoors, but this shit has to be getting into my house and I have young kids. Any thoughts on mitigation? Should I be having everyone mask in the house? While sleeping?

Yep we are >200 here as well and schools have cancelled all activities and are keeping kids inside. Just poked my head outside and it’s literally like sitting next to a campfire. Cool.

@commonWealth Fuck it, I’m going to try to buy one of those hepa filters from lowes or Home Depot and throw it into my furnace/ac unit, consequences to my unit be damned, which one is the one I should buy? I need 16x25 size.

It looks like the best I can get right now is a MERV 13 by filtrete. Will that filter smoke?

1 Like

At my Office:

I think hepa is MERV 17 or higher. Google says 13 will filter smoke though.

I used the HEPA filter in my car last night and it was shocking how quickly it made a difference. Looking out my window this morning and it currently looks like someone is having a camp fire outside our house. Awesome.