Climate and Environment: Cat 5 Hurricane Milton, 165 mph winds

Going down to New Jersey to see the in-laws tomorrow.

Looked at the weather forecast a few days ago and thought it looked nice. Didn’t think to check the goddamn air quality forecast (Why would I? I never have before.)

WTF is this shit?

Would be interesting to see how this compares to air in the 70’s but my google skills are too weak to find it.

What in the actual fuck. I mean really, what the fuck:

I am seriously worrying about the health of my kids right now.

I am confident that where I currently am geographically the air quality has never been this bad, at any point in recent human history.

This may be a stupid question but why isn’t the US like, helping Canada put out these wildfires? This seems like a pretty huge ecological catastrophe.

Is there a number at which “people start choking to death on the streets?” Because we’re up to 402:

Crazy, although think saw something that the weather pattern allowing this not going to hold for long?

Also brings home the point of how wild it is that millions of people recreationally light shit on fire and intentionally breath it

Can you take a picture of what it looks like outside by you? Just curious what 402 looks like visually compared to 200.

Driving over the bridge from NJ to PA this morning the Philly skyline was completely invisible. Very eerie and weird.

Up to 411 now:

I’m driving to Lowes at lunch to pick up a new filter for my AC unit, I’ll try to snap a picture then.

But, to describe it, it currently looks/feels like it’s about 8 pm.

1 Like

damn, 402 sounds rough. i think in 2020 and 2022, seattle hit 240, and it was basically only 50-100m of visibility.

Normally this view is rhe entire skyline of Philly, the other main bridge, the river, and the horizon well beyond the city. Today you could barely make out the silhouette of the skyline.

I looked at the website and got the highest quality one I could, I think it was MERV-13. Look at the Home Depot and Lowe’s websites and what’s available near you, and then just get the highest rated one you can.

I also highly recommend locating some HEPA purifiers and running them. We got three at Costco for $130 a piece after the East Palestine thing. They dropped the price back to $100 and now they pumped it back up, probably because of the smoke. It’s a good deal at $130 still, though.

https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.4000093012.html

Mine is also Filtrete, I don’t know if it’ll filter some/all smoke, but it’s the best you can do basically.

Jesus, I’d probably mask up in that.

I’m not an expert on this but I think there are some high MERV filters that could potentially overstrain your AC if it already borderline. I would hope something you buy commercially at a place like lowes would account for this in some way though

How long is this smoke supposed to last in the Mid-Atlantic? Is there any estimate yet?

Thanks, I went home at lunch and installed it, and threw my unit into “fan always on” mode. Hopefully I don’t burn it out, but I’m hoping that keeps the air in the house safe. I am wearing an n95 over an n95 right now, indoors, with the air conditioning running despite the fact that the lack of sun has driven the temperature down to the 50’s, however I am currently coughing, as are a bunch of other people in my office.

Also, we are now up to 438:

I ordered some air purifiers on amazon that are supposed to come tomorrow. All the air purifiers at Lowes and Home Depot locally are sold out (shocking, I know).

My AC unit is only 4 years old so hopefully it can handle it.

If this shit lasts into tomorrow I think I’m taking the kids on an unexpected vacation.