Club Soccer - LOL Chelsea

uh huh sure

Looooool

Got some great lolarsenalā€¦ can we have some lol Man U for afters?

1 Like

Only the second time arsenal have been outplayed all year, first deserved loss.

Sucks it came vs a bad team, but one or two teams a decade just get to win ~15 away games.

1 Like

tense title race between arsenal and city incoming; books have it at about a coinflip and fair enough. Iā€™d bet city at evens in part because arsenal seem more likely to self-destruct, but the truth is arsenal havenā€™t given many legit reasons to think that will actually happen (other than historical + pure hopium on my part). If given a (godawful) choice between Arsenal 1st + Spurs 4th, and Arsenal 2nd + Spurs 5th there are times when Iā€™d go with door #2, but thatā€™s mostly just because the american north american arsenal fans Iā€™m friends with irl are tied with liverpool fans for being, in my humble opinion, breathtaking morons. Am I biased? No.

But when I calm down then Iā€™d actually choose door #1, because CL is fun and in the modern prem the consequences of missing CL seem too steep. Although I guess Arsenal havenā€™t been in for six years and theyā€™re doing ok. And Chelseaā€™s response to the mere possibility of missing CL was to spend more money in January than all the teams in La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga combined. Which was obscene! I sorta hate chelsea more than any team in any sport, but Iā€™m also kinda lolling about it, i.e. spend $700 million and still end up with infinite chelsea fans trying to rationalize why Havertz is still starting. (But Felix is awesome and Enzo looked pretty good and I guess they probably wonā€™t turn into Blackpool in the next few months)

Other than watching occasional long clips I donā€™t really know that much about John Oliver, but a buddy linked me to his appearance on Men in Blazers the other day, thumbs up
https://meninblazers.com/2023/02/01/men-in-blazers-02-01-23-with-john-oliver/

1 Like
1 Like

Will listen if baby decides I get downtime tonight

1 Like

I dont think this Chelsea squad has a super high ceiling without a lot more spending.

Theyve spent what, 660m in the last year?

Amd their team just isnt great? With the prices paid for enzo and mudryk they have to be saka/casemiro levels next year and thats just a gigantic stretch imo.

You see city/pool/probably this arsenal team are getting 85-100 goals in a year. Chelsea are at 22 this year.

Like, if you replace Havertz with Osimhen might that help a lot? Sure, but youre now at 800m in a year, congrats at maybe now being the third best team at that level?

Its just so insanely dumb Boehly has tried to baseball a top 10 Euro club. ā€œWhat if we just get the best prospects on long contracts?ā€

Well, youā€™ve significantly overpaid for enzo/mudryk, so you arent getting any value there. Then, if they greatly improve you will have to give them better contracts anyway.

The only real gain from this is accounting wise. But you didnt have to spend that money in the first place, and the accounting stuff is largely just attached to how good the team is anyway.

1 Like

Why do I hate grealish? I hate just seeing his face

So many handballs in the box that arenā€™t fouls in this match

Romero romeroed too hard

City might very well still win the league but this is their worst squad in a while.

With injuries and poor form their back line is just bad.

1 Like

The Harry Kane your my hero sign made me lol. Pick the sign with the misspelling I guess

1 Like
1 Like

If City play like that at the Emirates they will have to pray Arsenal drop points vs Brentford or Villa.

City is never going to actually face real punishments right?

man Iā€™ll be stunned if theyā€™re docked significant points but I do think theyā€™re gonna feel some actual pain. Itā€™s just hard to imagine the prem drawing a stark line in the sand only to then stick their head in it. Add this to the chelsea and the toon situations and idk, feels like the league could see this as a watershed moment. And beyond fines or transfer bans or whatever, imo there could be some legit secondary consequences for city, like for example hastening Pepā€™s exit. Didnā€™t he say at one point that if he ever found out heā€™d been lied to wrt the books then he was out? Of course thatā€™s bullshit and he knows whatā€™s up, but I could imagine his imagining that this is his exit ramp to the high road.

(that said, imo all the folks calling time of death on city for 22/23 are ofc jumping the gun; season is barely half over. Credit to Arsenal for only playing two terrible league games so far this season, but thatā€™s not sustainable, not because theyā€™re chokers but just because the prem is a sprinted marathon and everybody has injuries and hiccups in the final four months.)

1 Like

Wrexham maybe coming back?

And weā€™re level. Awful decision by the defender for the PK. Monster PK finish at full hit straight down the middle and high.

1 Like

Man no VAR gives shenanigans such a higher EV

1 Like