Golf Thread: US Open at Pinehurst - RORY VS. ROIDS

11 just impossible in this wind. Only way to get it close, maybe even on the green, is taking on a silly risk.

TIGER FUCKING WOODS! Those up and downs on 10, 11, and 12, what can you say? AMEN!

If he can physically survive 72, his game is good enough to contend. Not sure he can outgun Scottie’s A game, but other than that, he has enough.

Would he have been better playing 13 in the morning? Par is like losing a stroke for old school tiger.

Surely would have been better if he wouldn’t have shanked his tee ball into the woods in the morning.

Watching hockey on ESPN+. Seems like every break I’m getting a Trump Doral commercial that praises Trumps revival of the course.

Where’s my mute button.

Total horseshit horning the GOAT at Amen Corner.

1 Like

Yeah but he didn’t have that choice, the horn blew after his tee shot. I think he was in the fairway and could mark it or finish. Getting through Amen Corner in even par was excellent work in those conditions. From the bunker on 10 through the end of 12 was vintage Tiger short game - he must be feeling well enough to be practicing a lot these days.

Would have been nice to get the bird on 13, but bottom line - he didn’t take advantage of 2 or 13, had horrible wind in Amen Corner, and he’s -1 through 13. Very good stuff from him.

Somehow I feel like Tiger flew under the radar with his performance relative to the leaders, and so did Zalatoris. Nobody seems to want to mention that Scottie got crazy lucky on 12 and 13, to the tune of three strokes. He also played great obviously. And Bryson has a 75 lurking.

Fuck that, that place was amazing before he got it and I’d be shocked if he didn’t make it worse.

https://twitter.com/DanHauserSports/status/1778782303327547626

1 Like

You know that the absolute pinnacle of sports viewing is? Watching the GOAT play The Masters on a 6" telephone screen.

2 Likes

Wheels are off for Tigres. This course looks impossible right now. Greens taking balls like concrete.

Scottie wears the beard quite well. Didn’t even recognize him.

Yeah I don’t think Augusta plays as well when it’s this firm. Like, everyone bouncing over 14 green with wedges and short irons yesterday is not how it should play.

We deserve more birdies. Punish the bad shots, but this isn’t the US Open, good shots should be rewarded at ANGC

The masters Sergio won was one of the more boring in my lifetime.

2 Likes

Yeah it felt closer to a US Open yesterday. ANGC is at its best when 65 is out there but you have to hit world class iron shots all day to go low, and if you play good enough to shoot like 68 on a normal course with a couple sloppy shots, you’re going to fire a 73. It’s a great test of who can hit all the shots and it doesn’t let the guys who aren’t quite world class hide.

I will say, while I prefer it a little more gettable than yesterday, it was still an awesome day of golf and the top 5 has no pretenders. Those guys got ejected HARD yesterday.

Yeah it definitely has to be hard enough to keep the frauds off the first page but when it’s this hard it’s impossible to stick one on some of these pins and that’s also unwatchable.

Yeah I like when the dividing line is more birdies for elite shots and bogeys for mistakes than when it’s pars vs doubles.

Best five or six hours of golf of the year, let’s goooo!

Why you should root for Max Homa…

Masters champions, I will point out, come in all shapes and sizes, from different countries and different backgrounds. There really isn’t a blueprint, despite what many people think. They’re not all country club kids who are born into privilege. Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Seve Ballesteros helped blow up that archetype, and Woods and Vijay Singh swept away the pieces. But there is something appealing about the fact that Homa grew up wearing out the dodgy, local public golf course near his home and that he wasn’t an elite recruit or anyone’s idea of a sure thing.

Yet here he is, having molded himself, slowly and over the course of many years — through a valley of endless disappointments and embarrassments — into a golfer capable of greatness.

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1125143819899551744?t=evL9JjzeWgmQNNbM-8h_Xg&s=19

https://twitter.com/Wes_nship/status/1779558941833195703

2 Likes

Ludvig might win 10 masters