Golf Thread: US Open at Pinehurst - RORY VS. ROIDS

“Five,” might be subtle enough. But yeah the patrons apparently have been warned to treat the LIV players nicely.

That means you wait and pick your spot.

“Go get major number FIVE Brooks! FIVE!”

1 Like

some bryson needle probably works way better

this amateur is tearing it up!

super unlikely of course but how amazing would it be if brooks/bennet are in contention on sunday and brooks loses to an amateur

1 Like

Can’t say I would’ve called a trunk slam for Rory this week. I don’t remember the last time I saw him play that badly.

This doesn’t look like cheating to me. It’s not clear what he actually said, it’s also not clear what it meant if he did say five. It also doesn’t look like there was any request for advice or information and Woodland’s ball was 22 yards away according to the article.

It really seems like bad form for analysts to be throwing around a cheating accusation like this when the guy is leading the Masters, I don’t see it as anywhere close to the many cheating instances of Patrick Reed or even what happen with Tiger in 2013 when he should have been DQ’ed but wasn’t.

It’s fairly clear he said “five” twice. Even if there wasn’t a request, it’s a penalty to share the info unprompted. Being 22 yards away it’s still helpful, he can adjust up or down.

meh. I feel like a lot slides out there.

I went to a pga champions tournament recently, and John Daly most shots was completely picking his ball up off the fairway, without marking it or anything (I’m pretty sure you’re not allowed to do this even if you mark it) and exchanging it for a fresh ball. no one said shit.

There’s no way that’s happening without anyone saying anything. It was probably lift clean and place. I assume the course was wet and soft, probably had just rained.

It’s not clear at all to me that five is what was said. And again we don’t know what the word five meant. It could be something other than what club was hit.

It takes a lot of jumps to say “this is advice which should be punished”, and the way I understand the rules it would have been perfectly legal for Koepka’s caddie to keep the club out and clean it where Woodland’s caddie could see it, so it’s not even like the allegations were about giving some advantage that is unfair to the rest of the field.

I really think if the golf media liked Koepka better individually or the LIV guys as a group this would be a non-story

This is incredible that no one was hurt.

I mean I saw it several times. No one said anything at all

Was it raining or had it just rained?

the day before - yea. but he was taking his ball ~30 yards back to the cart, coming back with seemingly a new one 5 seconds later and putting it down

Typically they would toss the ball to the caddie to clean and then they’d toss it back and they’d replace it, but some form of that was what was going on.

1 Like

maybe it was weird because of his cart. his caddie drove another cart but john pulled all his own clubs and I’m not sure what the caddie was even there for.

Play suspended until tomorrow. At least that’ll give them a chance to get that tree on 17 removed.

1 Like