Golf Thread: US Open at Pinehurst - RORY VS. ROIDS

i’ll try to find it later but i saw a slo mo of that tree falling and it’s super lucky it didnt kill like 5+ people.

tiger just baaaarely makes the cut. good for him lol.

pulling for bennet to keep playing consistent solid golf throughout saturday. 10 under is often good enough to win here. people fall apart on the weekend and we’re in for some weather.

I will eat my words maybe, but I really think there’s a good likelihood of a brooks blowup and I’ll be absolutely glued to my tv if it happens. and if not, brooks playing dominant golf is always interesting.

Anyone can play in nice conditions. Saturday pin positions and inclement weather/cold will wear you down on an already very difficult course.

Steady precipitation throughout the day. persistent wind. Tiger starting earlier will help him, however, I think the conditions are going to favor the younger, stronger guys. Tiger also has loudly complained over the years about how cold weather basically shuts his body down due to his extensive past injuries. I’ve seen him pull off rounds hobbling around, but he will need to rely on his short game, which honestly something seems off on the putter, I don’t see him in contention this weekend unless he has a sub 65 round tomorrow. Not likely. not to mention he has to play 25 holes today. yikes.

This is why I think brooks will fall apart. I’ve read expert analysis trying to rate augusta national (its club does not allow the pga to assess its difficulty) and a big factor people mention is the psychological toll this course puts you through. it is long, difficult, deceptive, and unforgiving. Today will be a real test for the players. I’m pulling for bennett!

And now for some schadenfreude.

Bryson “Augusta is a par 67 for me” Dechambeau misses the cut:

Hits the flagstick into the water and guarantees a missed cut.

that’s the good stuff. Augusta claims another victim.

1 Like

I’m going to have this on tv and 3 monitors. Trying to decide if I want to fire any bets but trying to predict this tournament always feels futile. Maybe some total field score props or something, I think today could be a blood bath. I’m wondering if the dampness will slow and soften the greens, which could take the edge off, but chipping in wet conditions can be extraordinarily challenging on firm greens, the ball 1) doesnt come off the club face the same because of moisture and 2) doesn’t bite as easily and likes to skid.

It never ceases to amaze me what an idiot brandel chamblee is for no reason like at every possible opportunity.

just in 10 fucking minutes i could tolerate:

fucks up an innocent reference to sea biscuit, gets corrected, doubles down on it with “well if you actually watched the movie you’d realize…” then kinda realizes he’s wrong or also sounds like a moron and abruptly changes the subject.

argues about the legit forecast everyone’s been staring at for hours.

extremely aggressively
“YOU HEARD 30 MPH??? THATS WEIRD BECAUSE ALL I HEARD WAS 12-13”

“no, I said gusting 30.”

“well that’s weird because I haven’t seen that. you’re saying 25?”

“I’m saying gusting.”

“ok, that’s weird, I haven’t heard that, I’ve just heard 12-13”

at this point I can’t tell if it’s a bit or he genuinely doesn’t understand the difference between sustained and gusting winds in a forecast.

then it’s slightly defused with a seemingly backhanded jab about the irishman’s ability to forecast the wind and rain, to which he replies “because it is cold and rainy.”

lol. fucking moron.

1 Like

LMAO at the start of the break from commercials they went back to the sea biscuit and made a point to correct him. then back to commercial again.

fucking amazing television

yea something’s wrong with tiger’s putting. stuck it to 3 feet on 12 and had one of the worst misses I’ve ever seen at that distance. missed by like 2 cups left and never had a chance.

Glad for the amateur that he didn’t have to finish his round in these conditions

Not yet.

First bad stroke of the week with the putter imo. He’s been around the hole a lot and hitting them on line otherwise.

he had several three putts day 1 iirc. not like him. his 3 putt avoidance is historically one of his best stats.

I had my first 3 hour full practice session today since a pretty major surgery on my left leg. i’ve also gained a significant amount of weight during my recovery so my stomach is getting in the way of my swing in a way I wasn’t used to, been struggling during rehab making good contact. then last session I felt I figured something out and today was striping it (except driver which is a lost cause, I need to replace it, I’m convinced it’s not my fault). anyway I’ve totally overhauled my swing now that I can confidently shift weight to my left side without falling over and it feels great, a lot easier to control and make good contact when your weight isn’t on the back foot at contact.

I have historically struggled with putting especially 3-6 feet. I switched to an arm lock grip and made nearly everything today. I think I might see some low 80 rounds this summer if I can play like I did today.

I’m not talking about statistically, I watched his round.

Come on, he had several poor putts on day 1. One hole 3 he missed an 8-10 footer but like a cup width, one holes 5 and 7 he left lag putts like 6 feet short and then long. That’s just the front 9. Maybe I would take those putts, but by Tiger standards the lag putting especially was about as bad as I’ve seen.

1 Like

it’s a shame because he’s hitting the ball fairly well considering it’s been barely over what, 2 years since he completely shattered his right leg. he had a lot of 320ish missiles off the tee, good to see at his age and especially considering his injuries.

I thought his stroke was fine, his touch may have been a bit off on some, but relative to what others were doing I still think it was fine. The question is whether he can walk on the leg for four rounds without deteriorating, and then whether he can play/practice enough to not have it be a crapshoot whether he has his game for the majors he still has a shot at.

Like he’s still on the comeback, he’s not yet at the point where it’s reasonable to expect him to contend. And comparing him to “Tiger standards” of old is just unfair to him.

Like he probably putted as well as, if not better than, Rory and Scottie through the first two rounds. They’re ranked #1 and #2.

he could easily get a cart if he wanted to, but I suspect he never will.

it’s raining hard now, lol

Yeah, no chance.

1 Like