No way to prevent this: teen murdered while returning an airsoft gun to a sporting good store

Jesus Christ. I love that i can’t bring bottled water on an airplane, but TSA doesn’t even spot the unloaded gun in the carry-on:

This one could have been a bad one:

Looks like the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is the same guy with a gun.

1 Like

Bro is a goddamn ‘Mercian hero.

Reported by his family and the Army! And they never talked to him! Un-fucking believable.

On a similar note, WaPo had this report about a mass shooting in Louisville earlier this year: Co-workers knew he was struggling. They didn’t expect he’d buy an AR-15. | non-paywall link

I wish people would stop thinking the solution is stricter red flag laws rather than just banning these weapons in the first place. the overwhelming majority of mentally ill people aren’t dangerous or violent or imminently about to shoot up a place. The lesson here should be “he was telling people he was going to do it and no one reported it” not “wow this sicko took MEDS before how could he get a gun?”

The types of privacy invasions that go into implementing these red flag laws are pretty awful.

3 Likes

I’m not super knowledgeable on lot of this but believe for various practical, safety reasons and maybe constitutional(?) police often won’t break down a door if called for a welfare check. Also in my experience with some colleagues who have been threatened seems like threatening people is effectively not illegal unless they are threatening the president in which case secret service doesn’t fuck around.

“ The sheriff’s sergeant, Aaron Skolfield, went to Mr. Card’s home on Sept. 16 and tried to make contact with him. But no one came to the door, despite the sergeant hearing someone he thought was Mr. Card moving around inside.”

Maine has a Red Flag Law. This guy legally purchased his weapons days before the shooting. Ball was definitely dropped.

We definitely shoudl ban guns, but since that’s never going to happen in lol “Merica, Red Flag laws are all we’ve got. And the stats on red flag laws are pretty compelling, states that have enacted them have definitely seen a per capita reduction in gun deaths. One of the best examples of this is, loltatsically of all places, Florida.

Does that require that the psychiatric hospitalization was involuntary? Thought I read he has sought care voluntarily and had no history of involuntary commitments.

Red flag laws don’t involve hospitalization although hospitalization is certainly a factor. The standard is generally something along the lines of probable cause to believe the person is going to cause serious harm to himself or others. All it does is take their guns and prevent them from buying more guns.

Ah ok, the article I found when I googled for Maine was talking about a medical/psychiatric evaluation so it sounded like involuntary hospitalization process in most states

Maine’s version requires a medical evaluation, but it’s to take away guns, not commit someone: Maine's 'yellow flag' law could be a model for gun control, but legal experts say it has limitations | Maine Public

The cops could have requested this based upon the threats.

Interesting, looks it pretty new given only used 20 times. I wonder how they choose the lucky doctor to get that huge pile of potential future liability and/or threats dropped on lol

That isn’t all it does. And sure, you could lock up every mentally ill person in the country and probably see a reduction in some stats, but it doesn’t mean you wouldn’t be violating the rights of a ton of innocent and harmless people.

Maine’s “yellow flag law” is a little weird, but no, the “red flag laws” do literally just that. They’re all very similarly drafted. I am extremely well versed in the NY red flag law, it just takes someone’s guns. It doesn’t lock anyone up (in a jail or in a treatment facility) Either way, they dropped the ball in this one.

You think the mechanisms that go into tracking this stuff doesn’t show on background checks for jobs? in databases that are easily bought and sold? that’s an extremely naive and privileged viewpoint but I appreciate your perspective.

just get rid of guns. boom done. then it’s none of your business what I tell my therapist.

USA: We’re #1 in Guns.
Israel: Hold My Beer.

If they’re talking about settlers, I would not call them “civilians” at all. They’re effectively deputized into the IDF

Reading Palo Alto I learned that when California first came under US control, one of the first items was eliminating the native Ohlone population. They couldn’t yet do this with the US army for varioius reasons. Instead they handed rifles to white settlers – if they Spent 60 days killing indians and they were given 50 acres to farm. This wasn’t taught in my 4th grade California history class.
The book explained the point of using militias is it provides a level of deniability for the government. If things go bad, the government can disavow them.

1 Like

this is barely even taught in CA college classes, either, if it makes you feel any better