No way to prevent this: teen murdered while returning an airsoft gun to a sporting good store

Underrated evil aspect of this is announcing immediately they’re charging the 14 year old shooter as an adult. Sure, that will fix everything.

in the big picture this is of course pointless but for practical purposes there was no way it was gonna go down any other way.

His parents should be getting charged.

1 Like

Yeah I mean seems fair, people not going to tolerate letting someone like this out in 8 years or something. And if he were genuinely psychiatrically unaware of his actions or something this wouldn’t preclude a not guilty by insanity defense or anything so feels hard to say his rights being infringed in any substantial way imho

The problem is guns, but we can’t do anything about that, so sure, lock up a 14-year old for 4 99-year sentences. That should make it all better!

Surely the next mentally ill 14 year old living in a world of shit with easy access to automatic weapons will think twice knowing they’ll be tried as an adult.

1 Like

Shooter’s dad has now been arrested as well

2 Likes

It’ll make conservative politicians feel better.

I guess I can’t be too mad at gratuitously locking up these gun fanatic dipshits and removing one more Trump voter from the rolls, but it does make me mad that this will change no one’s behavior and does nothing to reduce further shootings yet this is still how society pats itself on the back to feel like we’re Doing Something

Surely if we execute just a few more people the deterrent effect will finally kick in!

I think locking up parents may actually move the needle on parents restricting access to firearms by increasing the visibility of the subject from public health standpoint. Drunk driving rates fallen pretty substantially over last 40 years IIRC and legal awareness of the issue certainly contributes

2 Likes

I don’t know if those are really comparable. DUI arrests are comparatively common and people are pretty aware it can happen to them even if they don’t get in an accident.

In contrast, parents who are irresponsible with guns will only face punishment if their kids do something terrible with them, and no parents think their perfect little Brayden is gonna be the one to blast up their school.

No but if everyone reading headlines about locking up guns it’s going to become more common, if they getting the message from media, their doctors, etc multiple sources increases uptake of any public health intervention

Biden echoing the message. I think from a harm reduction standpoint a reasonable tact to take if knows politically bigger stuff not going to happen (he did call for bans too so he not neglecting the big picture)

How do we get Libs of Tik Tok thrown in jail? The derps are, of course, spreading a fake profile trying to say the shooter was transitioning and a Kamala supporter. These people are absolute scum.

Find out what Russian paying them

Another shooting today, only one dead:

https://x.com/IBellaVibes/status/1832132583632814533

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/06/opinion/school-shooting-georgia-dad-arrested.html

The article makes some fairly good points about how prosecuting the parents doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense given that our stupid gun laws make owning the gun and not locking it up legal. On the other hand, I cry no tears for every gun nut parent who eats a murder charge.

How old do you have to be to have a gun like that? Isn’t there some law against giving a 14 year old a… never mind…