Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

Yes. I’d be very happy to shit on bad Taylor Swift songs the way I did with those stupid Encanto songs in the Disney bracket we did.

(And, yes, she has more good songs than bad. It won’t just be me complaining.)

1 Like

Hey, fuck you!

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I will say that Taylor Swift’s worst songs are more even more annoying than Surface Pressure and I look forward to bashing them.

Well my daughter only really likes welcome to New York because she can clap with it, so I’ll fewer opinions this time lol

Hey my granddaughter (3) knows how to ask hey google for chili peppers songs.

Better that than baby shark.

2 Likes

I dunno, a few hundred “givitawaynows” and I might be pining for baby shark.

This is so odd to me. Like, I can’t imagine being a parent of a 10 year old kid and thinking there’s a meaningful difference between a movie having one fuck and three fucks. Either I don’t want them to hear the word, or I don’t care if they hear the word. I’d say huge line between zero and one for parents who care, and then the next big line is like gratuitous overuse of it as opposed to being used in situations where it’s “called for.”

It reminds me of this website my parents and my best friends parents used to use to screen movies when we were kids, Screen It. They’d count each utterance of profanity, each violent scene, sexual scene, etc, and describe it so the parents could decide whether kids could see the movie. Man, we hated that site. We basically couldn’t go see anything even PG-13 together, because his parents primarily cared about using the Lord’s name in vane and violence, and my parents mainly cared about fucks/shits for profanity, and sexual scenes.

Imagine being two boys like 12-14 years old and finding a movie you want to watch that has no f-words, no s-words, no JC’s, no sex, and no violence.

I’m still not tired of the RHCP, fantastic band, haters come at me.

2 Likes

I liked their early stuff okay.

Then they had about three albums of stuff where I hated just about all of it.

I think their most recent stuff has been quite good.

I hate to break it to you, but this website still exists, it’s called “imdb.com”.

Almost every movie has a detailed “Parent’s Guide” section, e.g. guess this PG-13 movie:

The Hunger Games

Or this one, also PG-13:

pg132

Batman Begins

This reminds me of the old Christian Movie Reviews websitefrom the 2000s. Boy they did not like Jurassic Park.

I wonder if IMDB bought ScreenIt lol that is almost exactly what they did.

:queennotamused:

1 Like

There used to be a site that gave a list of things in a movie without being judgey.

Decent reviews. I don’t remember if it listed recommended age ranges. Just let parents know and make their own decision.

No clue what it was called.

I, uh, don’t have to imagine this.

But as for f-bombing, I think parents can reasonably be sensitive to it w.r.t. both the age of their kids and the context of use. Six year olds are different from teens, and a woman swearing at a sexual predator is much different then using fuckin profantity as a fuckin adjective before every fuckin noun.

I agree, but how many people care if there’s one f-bomb vs three in a two hour play/movie? It’s not like Hamilton was making egregious use of it. Just a silly rating system to decide that one is ok, but two is a problem.

1 Like

My daughter repeats everything she hears and I have a potty mouth. She’s going to start swearing and I’m going to get in trouble

In the early 2000s there was a fundamentalist Christian website that had clips and descriptions of the worst things they found on TV so their fellow faithful could stay away from that filth. That was fantastic to discover content, for example The Shield.

For my granddaughter, it’s my daughter teaching those words. Which in effect makes me the guilty party.

1 Like