Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

well that didn’t age well. booo! have some balls dominion.

Depends on the details

That is fiduciary duty level number

2 Likes

I was thinking 600 millionish but it seems like dominion could have got more, looks like fox lawyers snap called

1 Like

About a quarter’s worth of cable programming profit.

But I was hoping for a scene like this.

It’s over a years profit if I’m reading your article correctly… and that’s for all of fox

Those are quarterly numbers, but you are right about it being not just Fox News.

1 Like

does the settlement require fox to publicly admit on-air to lying to their viewers or did they negotiate that out

1 Like

They released a statement admitting that some on air statements were false, but there will be no on-air acknowledgement and this saves their anchors from having to testify.

A big win for Fox News and the private equity backers of Dominion. A huge loss for democracy and society. So, business as usual.

1 Like

700 million bucks is enough that I think will change future behavior in regard to amplifying an obvious conspiracy. I mean was dominion sales even actually objectively harmed by Fox? So seems like they having to pay up primarily for fucking around and will discourage others from doing so

Well, no red state or swing state with Republican sign off required will ever buy their machines again, I would imagine. I think that’s a reasonable claim for them to make, at least.

It appears Fox News made $1.2 billion in 2022, so they are basically wiping out 66% of a year’s profit. But, importantly, the credibility of their anchors and reporters is basically unimpacted by this. Everyone who gets news elsewhere knows they’re completely full of shit, as we all already did. Everyone who gets their news from Fox News won’t find out that they were being intentionally lied to.

From their website:

“We are pleased to have reached a settlement of our dispute with Dominion Voting Systems,” the network said Tuesday in a statement. “We acknowledge the Court’s rulings finding certain claims about Dominion to be false. This settlement reflects FOX’s continued commitment to the highest journalistic standards. We are hopeful that our decision to resolve this dispute with Dominion amicably, instead of the acrimony of a divisive trial, allows the country to move forward from these issues.”

The lawsuit, which stemmed from coverage of the post-2020 presidential election, had become media fodder with news outlets closely watching the outcome of the highly publicized legal battle.

Then-President Donald Trump and his allies fiercely challenged Joe Biden’s victory in the weeks following the election. Some of them, including members of his legal team, made false and unsubstantiated claims against Dominion Voting Systems and are the subject of separate defamation lawsuits.

Is this actually true? Who has taken over that market share

They aren’t publicly traded and a lot of those contracts run for several years, so I think it’s hard to say what’s happening so far. But I would be pretty surprised if the party of “Dominion rigged the election!” signs off on Dominion machines anytime soon in their states. Like, even the ones who know they’re full of shit and are just playing a part, they have to stick to the act right?

Hopefully more revelations to come.

Absent the shock of 2016 (LOL HILLARY), things are proceeding about as expected. The GOP has gone completely insane and they’re losing every election as a result. They lost the WI court election by 11 points. Obviously they only have to win once to basically end democracy but the book banning abortion banning nazi shit isn’t playing.

Not sure about this. There aren’t that many players in the market and it’s hard for new ones to break in since as I understand it the certification process for electronic voting systems is a multi-year process.

If you check the EAC’s “Certified Voting Systems” page only 8 manufacturers are listed.

One thing I do know is that not only is Maricopa County still using a state-of-the-art Dominion system, they bought all new hardware after the CyberNinjas fiasco since they couldn’t be sure the machines hadn’t been tampered with once they left the county’s control.

Maybe this county is an outlier, but “red” doesn’t always mean insane MAGA slappies. When we were counting votes in '22, the county recorder (R) and the chairman of the board of supervisers (all Rs) held daily press conferences basically telling Kari Lake and Donald Trump to go fuck themselves.

They will continue to claim election riggage, they’ve just learned the lesson to not identify specific people/companies to blame.

Yeah this is my impression too.

Like a lot of Rs working in election related roles obviously liked Trump but they hated being called incompetent electoral officials worse so largely defended election results as being valid

Yeah and a huge chunk of those guys have been purged out of those roles

1 Like