Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

The Eagles hits are 50 years old. What the

I think a big part of it is that every decade of the 20th century has a distinct sound to it’s music, but if Gangnam Style or Call Me Maybe came out today, it would not sound like an anachronism. Maybe something like Knights of Cydonia would, but that is mainly because of the aughts being the death throes of rock. Pop music from 2000 to now sounds pretty samesy, so it’s weird to hear a song that sounds contemporary turn out actually be ancient.

And they still suck.

1 Like

I’m tempted to agree with you, but I’m wondering if there’s some 20-something who can be like “yeah that has a 2000s (and not 2010s) sound” the way we can differentiate 1980s and 1990s music even if we’re hearing a song that we haven’t heard before.

Who is Paramore?

Hard to explain if you’ve googled them already and don’t know who they are. The lead singer of the band is Hayley Williams who was signed when she was 14 to be the next great teen pop star in the age of that sort of thing. But basically rejected that idea and said she wanted to be in a rock band, and the result was Paramore.

If you don’t know her from Paramore, you might know her from this.

1 Like

Lol

I’m in my 30s, but yeah I can in general do this. There definitely continues to be a distinctive sound to each decade, while some music lives in the grey area between decades.

The biggest I’ve been fooled recently by music timing is this song. First time I heard it, I thought it was some song from the 50s that I had never heard before.

Sighhhh…

1 Like

Since 2014, turnout among people born before 1950 has declined, mostly because more have died or been unable to get to the polls. (Experts refer to this dynamic euphemistically as “exiting the electorate.”)

Covid baby. Well, along with the normal stuff

I’m not reading the NYT but I’m 100% sure they’ve used statistics to lie somehow here. I swear to god I am so tired of journalists whose only use for stats is to reinforce the story they’ve already decided to tell… and nowhere is more guilty of that than the NYT lol.

Shot: I have read exactly one NYT piece since Donald got elected, and that’s when someone leaked them his taxes. Chaser: I didn’t need to read that piece it said exactly what I thought it would say.

I forget where I read it, but there was a stat somewhere that showed that: “people moving to the right as they get older” was largely bullshit and explained away by the fact that rich people live longer than poor people, and rich people are more right wing than poor people, so the generation shifts rightward as the poor people die at a faster rate than the rich people.

1 Like

Also unless I’m mistaken total voter turnout is way up. That also included the right wing dipshits and I 100% believe that the NYT would do some hilariously dishonest bullshit like point to just right wing voter turnout being higher as proof the generation is moving to the right. Meanwhile left wing voter turnout is up so much the GOP is facing an existential crisis at the end of the last three biannual election cycles.

Yeah, I only read part of it. It was comparing 2012 to 2020. So, a whole lot of turds that wouldn’t have normally voted in 2012 would have been activated by Trump in 2020. Not sure if that would have been corrected for.

Not seeing this at all. I don’t think they’re anywhere near “an existential crisis”. In a lot of senses, they’re winning.

Continues to be baffling that anyone agrees to interviews with Isaac Chotiner, ever

1 Like

Stay home, Philly bros.

Holy shit that is going to be an absolute nightmare to fix. There are very few options to reroute traffic and traffic already sucked before today.

Theres video from inside cars driving over the road as it began to buckle.