Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

man it’s my literal dream to get some idiot boomer so hoppin mad that he prints my tweets out and challenges me to a fight on the Senate floor

that clip above doesnt have the full exchange, it gets even cringier:

https://x.com/thehill/status/1724476294614720764?s=20

Neither of these gentlemen are boomers. PLEASE STOP CALLING PEOPLE YOUNGER THAN ME BOOMERS

MMA record notwithstanding, I think my money’s still on the Teamsters guy, he looks pretty scrappy. Fighting the teamsters seems like fighting Tony Soprano. You may win today, but you’re definitely gonna lose tomorrow.

7 Likes

gen z’s call me a boomer, it just means anyone older than you that’s a jackass, it’s like an idea, Im aware he’s not literally a boomer

1 Like

I’ll tell you this much, I saw a clip of a comedienne talking about being a millennial and I was like “fuck you, you’re 40, you’re not a millennial”. Then I looked it up and millennials can be as old as 42 I guess? Fuck that, the generation BEHIND mine can’t be that old, no way.

1 Like

Errr hard no on that one

i mean that’s how the kids use it i dont set the vernacular i’m not taylor swift or whoever the young people like

Gotta believe a Teamsters guy from Boston named Sean O’Brien knows how to throw hands, I have faith in the American worker.

3 Likes

42 is Xillennial territory, I think it’s weird that 27 year olds are lumped in with Millennials since the idea of the name was “an appropriate name for the first generation to reach adulthood in the new millennium” and those youngins reached adulthood in the 2010s.

Generations are dumb in general though so whatever.

The dividing line is because 27 and older can remember a time before the internet and mobile phones were commonplace

generational dividing lines are mostly culture based, not on arbitrary naming quirks

Depends on what the “generation” is being used for, imo. Like, the baby boom was a real thing that has had and has continued to have a profound impact on US demographics, and from a policy standpoint, it’s worth knowing when the country would anticipate having more people retiring than entering the workforce. It can potentially be useful to identify when groups of people have cultural or historic touchstones in common with one another, especially if it’s during their formative years. Stuff like Pearl Harbor, having to decide to go to Vietnam or dodge the draft, 9/11, entering the workforce on or around the Great Recession, makes a big impact on a lot of people. Children in school in the pandemic years are going to all know a major disruption in their lives that my girls won’t know, as they were too young.

But, a lot of “generation” demarcations are, imo, too big, and based too much on how long the baby boom lasted compared with the spacing of major cultural touchstones. It seems pretty weird to lump people who might have been worried about being drafted in the wake of 9/11 with people who might have been alive but who were unable to remember it.

2 Likes

27 does seem pretty young to me. Like if you were born in 1996, you were 6 when Xbox Live debuted, 9 the year I joined Facebook, and 11 when the first iPhone came out. That person’s experience of how technology changed the world is drastically different from those of us who remember dialup modems.

2 Likes

good post, and the reason this actually matters a lot in today’s messed up dystopia is because generational divides actually influence advertising a lot, and even down to weird stuff people dont think about like UI designs.

1 Like

the millennial group amongst people that study this weird topic is really split up into 3 or 4 subgroups that are changing constantly. it’s an extremely weird generation. there’s a handful of years that are super critical in a very short amount of time due to the rise of the internet and world events.

I noticed this a long time ago. My youngest sister has several years apart from my other siblings but still is solidly in the same generation but with some things she may as well be a gen Z, but not really that many years separate us.

Feel like there gotta be another generational cut off somewhere related to social media. As example was just talking at work with a couple doctors and therapists spanning 20s-70s year old about how there had been an absolute explosion of teens/20s who come in using a whole bunch of mental health related terminology so you initially get taken aback thinking they a PhD student or something and then quickly realize they literally are just repeating phrases from tik tok and have no actual idea what they talking about

3 Likes

Yeah, I think social media, even more than the internet per se, is one of those touchstones. Knowing grown up social interaction without social media versus not is a big divider.

1 Like

haha what a goddamn crybaby

ok boomer

1 Like

https://x.com/jordanuhl/status/1725187467920482441?s=46&t=mdG4vqCfpbP4Xp4esdQ98A

4 Likes

2 Likes