Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

Ok that’s fair haha

I am a little sympathetic as wife had a scam call where someone claiming to be with police or some court official said she had missed jury duty twice for X county of her old address and while we didn’t reveal any further info or pay up we for some reason were on phone like 10 minutes before we got the nerve just to hang up. So I can see how you get sucked into things as they start feeding you personal info

I’ve had both my mother and my step mother call to tell me that there were guys trying to serve me for some kind of IRS lawsuit thing they couldn’t fully describe because it was obviously obviously not real.

Normies absolutely have not processed the ramifications of the big credit bureau hacks. Your social security, date of birth, home address, credit history, all of that shit costs less than a penny on the dark web. You come at me with my social in 2024 and I pretty much instantly flag you as a scammer.

If someone wants to collect a debt from me or serve me for a lawsuit I am shockingly available. My mailing address works fine, and if for some reason I mistake your correspondence for junk mail I am pretty much always home and monitor my credit report carefully. Everyone who I am aware of owing money to is in good standing, but if I left someone out I promise they will be able to get ahold of me some other way than calling me and yammering my own personal information back to me.

I’m on team there’s no excuse for falling for this as a prime working years adult in 2024 the more I think about it. Let’s be real for a second those two women both fell for my dad, so a pretty good pool for a scammer lol.

To discuss a supposed domestic matter.

oh-no-anyway

2 Likes

Watching the waves roll off the rocks… all summer long!

I think this is a fair assessment:

It’s easy to see the absurdity of it from a distance but I can imagine it’s much different when you’re being led step by step by the scammers, and you’re pushed through the biggest red flag steps with the distracting thought of potentially already being an identity theft victim.

All scams exploit vulnerable psychology. I think we underestimate how much we’re protected from them not by being particularly intelligent but simply being familiar enough with the more common attacks to recognize them. We’re not reasoning through our defenses, we’ve just installed barriers against the common attack vectors.

A novel, sophisticated, targeted scam is hard to defend against. It’s psychological warfare where the attacker is prepared and plans around your defenses and you’re caught off guard.

GOAT comment

4 Likes

Yeah you add AI to the mix and it’s a whole new game. At some point my wife is going to get a call from my child, from my child’s number, in my child’s voice, saying that he’s in trouble and if my wife doesn’t send $XX,XXX immediately my child will be hurt, killed, or otherwise permanently harmed. And that’ll be that.

And now that OpenAI can generate pretty realistic video from a text prompt, you’ll be getting a video of the child about to be harmed if you don’t pay ransom.

Lots of examples of what the new functionality can generate here:

But since you can get cute puppies videos, it’s all worth it.

Ok I’ll concede scams are getting better but this woman is just an idiot.

The man on the phone knew my home address, my Social Security number, the names of my family members, and that my 2-year-old son was playing in our living room. He told me my home was being watched, my laptop had been hacked, and we were in imminent danger. “I can help you, but only if you cooperate,” he said. His first orders: I could not tell anyone about our conversation, not even my spouse, or talk to the police or a lawyer.

https://twitter.com/sgbuggs/status/1758320394728010014

The on the nose commenter being “mister piss” is chefs kiss

I still can’t get over her thinking Amazon transferred her to the FTC who transferred her to the CIA to investigate credit card fraud. The CIA!

I probably had someone try this scam on me like six to eight months ago. I got a text about my Amazon order for a Macbook or whatever, then a few minutes later a phone call about how important it was to take care of it right away. I forget why I picked up the call, I was expecting one from someone else or something. Anwyay, I don’t know if this was the same scam, because I hung up in under 15 seconds. Checked my Amazon account, no orders, shrugged and went about my day.

But, hey, I’m not a Roosevelt, so the fuck do I know?

Also can’t get over her still having a job offering financial advice. Not only over the scam, but having $80K sitting in a checking account or whatever? Come on!

Business and finance columnist for the New York Times LOLOLOLL

1 Like

It’s nepo babies all the way down

An underrated part of the article is when she revealed it she found that friends and family members had similar stories. So you’re saying the nepo baby is related to and is friends with other similarly naive nepo babies. YouDontSay.jpg

https://twitter.com/itsdansheehan/status/1758384254130721111

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1758378926869528981

There’s a significant non-zero chance this story was fabricated for pageviews right? Has to be the most views The Cut has had since… ever?