Programming or How to Exit Vi Without Rebooting

git’s been around for like 40 years

eta: it’s definitely old enough to drink

I’ve been in the industry longer than Git has.

when i say git i mean basically version/source control. are you guys saying you existed before that? I’m talking guys that even if you explain to them what a branch is they can’t figure it out unless their IDE literally holds their hand and makes it two button clicks

Version control means a lot of things and before git it was pretty bad and pretty manual. That’s why not everyone considers “git” synonymous with “version control.”

1 Like

boomers

cvs and visual sourcesafe diehards, where you at?

Going from memory in an attempted flex… But wasn’t git basically written in a weekend by Linus Torvalds because he was fed up with whatever version/source control tool they were using for Linux kernel development?

True story! Perforce is popular.

I eventually got good with git after starting to use it but there is a little bit of a learning curve.

Without looking it up, this is also the story I recall.

i think he started it in a weekend, but it took considerably longer

So if you use Apple phones you need to start being very careful when you enter your passcode. In order to prevent a multitude of users who forgot their Apple password login from losing all of their pictures, you can reset your Apple account password without knowing the current password. This means if someone has your iPhone passcode they effectively have your Apple account password and can change it and lock all of your existing accounts out of it. This isn’t a bug, this is a feature to protect the thousands of users who forget their Apple password at the expense of the hundreds of users who have their passcode shoulder-surfed and their iPhone stolen.

yikes thanks, it’s probably a weakness but my entire security model is based around my passcode

1 Like

The first group-develop software project I contributed code to was maintained with cvs.

And the code base was fortran 90 :open_mouth:

2 Likes

my first exposure was a bunch of shell scripts in RCS. thankfully i never had to use them.

1 Like

datadog had a nearly 24h complete outage yesterday. it’s really hard to comprehend the real world impact of that.

I also learned they have one of the worst SLA’s i’ve ever seen and I’m determined to never ever use them as a vendor if I can help it.

I interviewed there a couple of years ago an my initial impression was that they

1 Like

lol I thought I deleted that post

Anyway it was a weird company, they had a weird compensation plan and the people were weird.

1 Like

til of a us based tech company with 5000 employees I’ve never heard of

all slas are scams. there i said it.

When companies stay private for too long:

Stripe Faces $3.5 Billion Tax Bill as Employees’ Shares Expire

In my own career, this sort of thing has made me queasy about joining private companies that offer stock. Stripe has been around for 14 years, so anyone who came and left the company during that period has had to make a decision about whether to exercise options (and incur an associated tax bill) to acquire shares they can’t sell. I have some friends at a large, quasi-private company who get large RSU packages they have to pay taxes on and cannot sell. That’s such a large amount of financial risk to take on, that you’re paying six figures in taxes on something you may never see any return from.

Weird. My RSUs vest on Monday and 1/3 of them automatically taken out for taxes. If economy wasn’t garbage I’d quit Tuesday. So tired of this stuff but for the $ I can’t. Ugh.