The Hot Take Thread

Years ago I stopped eating beef generally for health reasons but also because I have an irrational fear of prion disease which sounds like the most awful way imaginable to die. I’ve tried it occasionally in the years since and found that I no longer even like it when compared to turkey, chicken, or fish. In the warm weather months I do almost all my cooking on the barbecue, and none of it involves beef.

Man I’m not behind the sentiment of what’s coming behind your posts. I hate grease and fat a lot and have an easily upset stomach, and used to live with cheat-vegans, so I learned an interesting thing while cooking family dinners.

low fat or red meat replacement dishes can do fine when they’re not pretending to be something else. like, I can make pretty fantastic vegan chili. But, you add a little cheese and chicken stock to it and its astounding how much better it gets, so I just stopped pretending with dishes like that and the meals were more palatable to people who were meat averse but not strictly against meat.

anyway all this to say is turkey burger is pretending to be a burger and that makes it worse. you can make turkey burgers that taste better than the worst burgers, I’m sure, but the best burgers will destroy turkey. Call it a grilled turkey sandwich? that’s fine and will probably be more palatable.

there’s nothing worse than biting into what you think it’s a burger and some smug ass thought he could sneak turkey past me. if you told me it was a turkey sandwich I wouldn’t have had that.

You may be right about this. While I would normally enjoy an 80/20 burger or fattier vs. a ribeye steak, I wouldn’t pay ribeye steak prices for ground beef. :hamburger:

turkey :leolol:

Man, I thought the staek taeks were taeks finally hot enough for this thread, but I am going full “Linda Hamilton’s dream in Terminator 2” with the turker burger apologia in here.

3 Likes

Wait till I give you my opinions on impossible burgers.

1 Like

I’m basically in the same boat; I’ve avoided red meat and processed/cured/smoked meat for about two years now, mostly for cancer concerns. Still have the occasional burger as a treat. Honestly it was a lot easier to give that up and maintain a high protein diet than I thought it would be. Helps that I love a good salmon steak and I cook a lot of shrimp dishes. lol, now mercury poisoning is a legit concern I have.

Biggest thing I miss is chili, just nothing like making slow-cooked chili with big chunks of stew meat, nothing like it.

1 Like

What the fuck…

1 Like

One possible exception is bananas foster.

Krispy Kreme significantly worse than Dunkin.

In the sense that there are degrees of infinity, sure, I guess. But if you want actual good donuts, get some motherfucking Entenmann’s. Now those are the fucking shit, and this is the motherfucking hot take thread.

Pumpkin Pie is also fucking amazing, and is technically a fruit.

Pumpkin is so bad as a food that the best use for it is to cut it open, remove all the edible parts, carve a face into the shell, stick a candle in it and leave it outside for a few weeks.

3 Likes

Pumpkin is:

1. The best pie;
  2. The best soup;

Come at me bro.

IT’S A SQUASH

ask someone if they want squash pie at thanksgiving, see what they say. it only tastes good because it’s loaded with sugar!

I HATE donuts but this isn’t remotely true. holy shit. we talking warm or cold?

Entenmann’s from the grocery store where they have obviously been soaked in sawdust for a decade to get that clammy moist yet dry as dust mouth feel? Those are awful.

1 Like

Krispy Kreme are only edible when they are fresh out of the vat, once they cool off they aren’t very good at all.

2 Likes

yea I would say hot off the presses krispy kreme > any other donut. maybe dunkin > cold krispy. idk I dont eat a lot of donuts sorry. this just shocked me.

1 Like