The Hot Take Thread

Tangent off of this: the last time I was in Vegas a taxi was cheaper and more convenient than Uber or Lyft.

Airbnb has same vibe as Etsy. Look at this charming tiny house retreat, so much more interesting and personal than an evil corporate hotel. Look at this charming “handmade” drink coaster ($40), so much more interesting and personal than a mass-produced one you can buy for $5 that’s functionally equivalent. And sweet $150 cleaning fee.

It’s been a while, but what I liked about Airbnb was the weird places you could stay; a bus in someone’s driveway in Portland, a weird cobbled together shack in someone’s back yard. Of course you do risk ending up with a compost toilet for plumbing…

1 Like

I almost always use VRBO if I’m looking for a non hotel option. Not sure how they compare to Airbnb but I’ve had good luck with them.

1 Like

in most kid-friendly destinations I’ve found that renting other people’s timeshare units from them is far superior to airbnb. It is the hybrid of still having hotel-managed benefits while being cheap because you’re still renting from a third party, and still getting larger units that have a kitchen and washer/dryer (which is critical if you have young kids). I agree with the hot take that airbnb/vrbo for private home rentals generally suck.

Rideshare hasn’t really been the “cheaper” option in major cities for a while now. It can be cheaper. But it also can be more expensive.

Is there a website for this?

It’s different than a more traditional timeshare but I’ve stayed at a Wyndham timeshare property via AirBNB before. They didn’t identify that specifically in the listing but it was obvious based on comparing location/pictures.

I’ve browsed RedWeek.com and tug2.com but not used either. I’ve thought about vacationing this way over the last year or so because my kids are 2 and 4 and a two bedroom option is better for us, but haven’t pulled the trigger. Having never done it before I am worried about showing up and not having some paperwork right or not being able to use amenities since I am not the actual owner.

1 Like

Although I sometimes rent from owners directly from forums. There’s a trust element involved of course.

You cna also use VRBO/Airbnb for timeshare rentals. VRBO seems to have more.

1 Like

Thanks. I had never heard of redweek or tug2 before.

Red Week… Tug 2… I know these names better than I know my own grandmother’s.

EUIbLZSXgAQDVYv

3 Likes

Is this a hot take? (I agree)

3 Likes

I mostly agree to the degree that it is an advertisement to get people to gamble more, but I wish we could use the numbers responsibly. Unlike pundits, the books have something to lose by being wrong, and as such are a much more reliable and noise-free measure to talk about in advance of games.

A little grey band makes a steak better. This obsession many Internet people have with getting a sear with zero grey band is misguided.

That take gave me a gray band.

I think saying the grey band makes it better is too far, but I agree the obsession with zero grey band is misguided. A steak can be cooked great with no grey band or a very minor grey band. It’s more about understanding the process of making a deliciously cooked steak.

Steak is overrated.

3 Likes

Steak (animal protein in general) is a crutch for people that don’t know how to season and use different techniques / spices.

1 Like

Not a vegetarian, but never been a steak guy. Dudes get so nerdy about their sous vide and reverse sear and whatnot.

1 Like