The Non-political ANGER THREAD

I think the DoorDash drama is blowing up because it allows everyone to feel smug. Even if you suck at meal planning you can still get mad at the people DoorDashing coffee and a bagel.

Think this is just the natural state of the internet

1 Like

this sort of extreme through the looking glass weird shit is the worst part of twitter so of course itā€™s the part that survived the Elonification

well, not the WORST part but a pretty annoying part

Fucking Youtube TV. Apparently I can only stream on 3 TVs max. That is the limit on the base plan. I did not know this because during NFL reg season, with Sunday Ticket you can stream on as many streams as you want.

I guess I could have upgraded for this month, but I was too pissed off to give them more money. So, I relegated some of the games to a shared screen.

3 TVs isnā€™t enough?? (and canā€™t you put multiple games on a single screen now?)

IF there are more than 3 games going on at once, then no.

That is what I did:

To their credit, YoutubeTV has a nice option where you can pick which games you want on the single screen. But still, Iā€™d prefer them to be on a whole screen.

Canā€™t build a quad box with only 3 tvs.

itā€™s amazing (i.e. not at all amazing or surprising) that when you come across one of those websites that never ever remembers you even when you check the ā€œremember meā€ box AND it also insists on doing some dumb annoying ā€œemail you a codeā€ bullshit to let you login, itā€™s INVARIABLY a site you are literally forced to deal with and have no ability to use any other competing service (e.g. utility, your HR bullshit, etc). Fuck you fucks.

1 Like

2 Likes

Hear some chatter about various people kids in neighborhood/work/etc college applications process and holy fuck lot places are just obscenely expensive these days.

Are they all trying to go to private/out of state schools or does this even apply to state universities?

The jaw dropping stuff is private and lot them turning it down to go instate sounds like but kids obviously disappointed in many cases if they were excited about some specific program at an Ivy or whatever.

I think weā€™re at the point where itā€™s -EV to have your parents pay for your college tuition versus giving you the money, assuming you invest it wisely. Weā€™re probably also at the point where itā€™s better to stay at home with your parents for free if theyā€™ll let you, work any job you can for a couple years, and put it all into retirement accounts rather than taking out student loans to go to college. I assume if you donā€™t have those privileges, a college degree and student loans is still better than going straight into the workforce, but I dunno.

I think a lot of kids are about to graduate with like $200K in student loan debt and then find out two years later that their field has been decimated by AI. A lot of the jobs new grads on a white collar career path do are going to be whacked in the next five years, probably.

I graduated from alabama in 1997, out of state tuition was $8k for the academic year. I had a presidential scholarship that covered the entire amount plus room and board.

Junior got in, also got the presidential scholarship. Out of state tuition is now $32k, all-in cost with room and board is now $48k, the presidential scholarship now only covers $28k of that. Heā€™s got an additional alumni scholarship that covers another couple of k I think.

Itā€™s roughly the same at OSU, and other decent state schools he got into. Even with ā€œgoodā€ scholarships Iā€™m writing a check for $20k minimum. If he stays in state obviously my cost goes WAY down.

Just curious, because all the neighbors saying this as well. But why would you pay the tuition up front? Why not have kid take loans that (I think) arenā€™t accruing interest during school to have the chance to see if end up in a PSLF job/employer with perk specific to loan repayment/loans getting frozen forever next recession/etc? Then if not can always pay it off later.

well yeah actually this sort of what kid #1 (currently a sophmore) is doing, heā€™s got $5.5k/year of federal unsubsidized loans and if uncle joe doesnā€™t forgive them then Iā€™ll pay them off. Definitely will be doing that with #2 as well.

1 Like

Yeah my assumption at this point is that out of state basically == private in terms of cost. Although maybe the kids will qualify for in-state after a year or two of living there as a student? Not sure how that works across states.

Supposedly thereā€™s something rich families do where the kid becomes ā€œindependentā€ and uses their college address on FAFSA to maximize federal aid, thus avoiding having to claim their parents income/assets on the FAFSA application. Not sure how much truth there is to it or how it works, weā€™re a long ways off from having to worry about it.

But it sounds like some wealthy people are gaming the system to get need-based aid for their kids. Very bootstrappy!

the easiest way to do this is to have a grandparent adopt your kid. Even if the kid still lives with the parents, just being ā€œadoptedā€ basically zeros out everything on the fafsa and you instaautoqualify for everything (supposedly, this was the case a few years ago but maybe theyā€™ve closed this loophole, idk)