Wookie's Walrus Wreveal

im comfortably not last but nowhere near first, just like my life

3 Likes

STOP THE COUNT

2 Likes

Category 5 is my most sheep-ish pick and category 6 probably my weakest one so I expect some regression to the mean.

don’t worry, whenever i think I’m going to break my previous rounds scores, I stay consistent.

I’m sure you’ll sweep the next two.

OK, round 5:

A song concerning temperance or self-control.

You people went deep here, and you submitted great songs. No matter how good you’re feeling about your pick, it could well end up on the nodium because three songs have to, no matter how much I like them and no matter how much they fit the theme. My reasons for picking against any of these is going to sound nitty, because it’s true. I gotta pick nits because it’s against the spirit of the game to declare everyone a winner and all the songs equally good.

So, our first song in this category is fun and fitting, but it finds itself here because it chooses such a shallow subject matter while the other submissions were so successful in going deep.

COIN - Talk Too Much

No longer playing for 2nd :harold:

Strategy of submitting first song I could think of has finally backfired.

2 Likes

Our second member of the nodium is a great song, borderline BANGER, and hot off the press, too, but it’s a song that basically goes against the whole theme despite the title. This might have worked better if more submissions were about lacking self-control rather than yearning for it or embracing it, but here we are.

Rick Ross .ft. Kanye West - Self Control

Rounding out our nodium is a song that’s right up my alley with a bluesy rock sound, but it also falls short on thematic fit. While, yes, the singer spends the chorus yearning to have the burden of his addiction taken away, he concludes the song saying that he’s destined to fail. Essentially, he lacks the self-control and is unwilling to work on it anymore, although he wouldn’t mind if the addiction just went away by magic. Nitty, yes, but that’s how this falls.

Social Distortion - Ball and Chain

2 Likes

this song would’ve won mine but i did not pick it

1 Like

Into our middle picks is a song on theme that I enjoyed and that’s quite beautiful. Holding it back is just that it’s a bit more on the “I’m addicted” side of things rather than actually having any self-control, but I suppose the first step is admitting you have a problem. Good singers on this one.

K’s Choice - Not an Addict

I went back and forth between this song and Not an Addict in this spot. They have some similarities in that they’re both female-driven and both more on the side of struggling with addiction rather than beating it or guarding against it. I gave the slight nod to this one because I found the music a bit more engaging.

Pink - Sober

3 Likes

i almost went with Sober. i really like p!nk, she also puts on an amazing show.

2 Likes

that’s mine

2 Likes

Good pick. I only really know her top 40 stuff, which is easy to grow to loathe from overhearing it, but she can sing.

1 Like

Not in the nodium? Hope!

1 Like

I disagree slightly about not your ranking, but the theme of sober - I think it’s one of the most triumphant songs about sobriety out there, especially if you know about her life. “I’m safe up high why do I feel this good sober” is a great line for any addict out there once they reach a state where they’ve kind of gotten past the addiction and are building a new life for themselves. Idk.

I submitted the other p!nk song as well, the lady marmalade one - guess I must like her. I like powerful female voices like hers. It’s very strong.

2 Likes

I had Social D. I really thought that would do better. In hindsight, not sure I truly understood the category. We press on.

3 Likes

It’s a good pick! You understood me and the category, but this was just really hard for me.

1 Like

No worries! Similar to Brian’s Hat, I went with the first song that popped in my head. Now that I’m getting my first Walrus under my belt, I’m learning about the strategery required.

My wife does too, and for not being my normal style of music I don’t mind having her on. I’m trying to figure out how we can see her tour later this year since she’s not coming to NorCal.

1 Like