Wookie's Walrus Wreveal

BTW I submitted the original recording without Skin but I don’t think it would have affected the ranking.

1 Like

Not confident going into the last round. I estimate that my pick has very little podium equity.

Very kind of Louis to trick us all into thinking we have a chance before he pulls the rug in the last round :leolol:

A thin lead and a relatively weak pick makes me the underdog against the field but I’ll be happily proven wrong.

I think VFS was our winner, and CanadaMatt then on Self Control, so our scores:

Going downhill fast.

I’ve got a really fun sweat here in the last round

Last category.

A song about splitting from your ex, ideally with an eye towards living your best life in the aftermath rather than moping.

This would have been my submission if challenged with this category:

The submissions here have a clear delineation between songs looking backwards and songs looking forward. Hopefully your song was one of the latter. But we’ll begin with a couple submissions that weren’t really break up songs at all. I had said that there were 4 pairs of the same submission, and that was technically correct (the best kind of correct). I also got one instance of the same song but by different artists. It’s not a song I really cared for, though, and it doesn’t really fit the instructions. It’s a “don’t date me in the first place” song, not a break up song or splitting from an ex. Of the two recordings, I got Witherspoon > Carter but Cash > Phoenix, despite Cash having some really odd sounding “No No No” and “babe” lines that Phoenix doesn’t bork. Since the song is really about the male vocalist, Cash will finish ahead of Phoenix.

The songs in question:

Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon - It Ain’t Me, Babe

Johnny Cash and June Carter - It Ain’t Me, Babe

1 Like

I actually feel really good about this category.

I’m sure Wookie is going to slap me back to earth momentarily, but right now, I feel good.

Rounding out our nodium is another song that I feel missed the mark on the category. I’m not feeling the fit on a song about casting off good relationships and holding onto bad ones. That’s the opposite of what I was going for, and the song isn’t catchy or interesting enough for me to give it some sympathy ranks.

Charlie XCX - Good Ones

1 Like

that ones me

Knew this would score poorly as this walrus went on due to you favoring technical scoring over a song just being a pure banger. Good thing the tyranny of Wookie walrus is almost over and the fun of ITYSL walrus will soon be here!

1 Like

Still beat Johnny Cash though!

In 4th is a song that is about wanting her love back, not about breaking free or starting fresh. Pretty song, but not what I was going for.

LP - One Last Time

Thankfully, this is the last song that whiffs on the category. Why does Lorde need to wait for a green light from anyone? Why not get her things and go? Why is she seeing him every where? We’re trying to make a clean break here.

Lorde - Green Light

At the midpoint, we have an obvious troll selection, but the singer is technically looking forward and trying to make things new. It got a good guffaw out of me.

Stephen Lynch - Lullaby

lol i might get last place

Just off the podium is a song that’s on message, but it’s kinda sleepy for my tastes. I like the higher energy of the songs on the podium.

Slander - So Long

2 Likes

That’s mine. I knew I was in trouble when I saw how strictly category fit was enforced.

cash is mine. however, i now realize that i had another song in my head at the time, but i pasted this one into the entry. :queennotamused:

1 Like