Politics & News LC thread - Vivek and John Candy were right

I guess I don’t undertstand the motion to vacate process

what can matt gaetz do by himself? he can raise a motion and … then what happens? there is an up or down vote on whether to keep the current speaker? It seems like there’s no leverage here, there clearly aren’t more than what, 10 people that would vote to dump mccarthy, are there? Democrats can’t be dumb enough to dump him since they’ll absolutely be guaranteeing that someone even dumber ends up there

In theory every democrat should vote to vacate a republican chair.

yeah yeah

like if gaetz raises the motion the play for mccarthy is to say OK and just go straight to the vote immediately with no time for horse trading. Make the democrats decide if they are going to back the spineless weasel or roll the dice with some other insane whackjob

Every Democrat should walk out of the chamber and be like, “This is y’all’s problem, figure it out.”

Pretty sure he needs 218 votes, not the majority of those present. Or Dems could just vote present and just let the GOP shitshow dominate headlines for a week or two. And let Fetterman dunk on them constantly with jokes about how they’re sooooo worried about his sweatshirts and they are a walking talking dysfunctional circus.

1 Like

Not sure what thread this is best suited for, so putting this here. (If we had a Fuck Capitalism thread this could be in the OP.)

Magic link

This is a long article but it’s worth reading the whole thing. Evokes a whole spectrum of emotions, from incredulity to rage to despair.

One of the things that really struck me, and there is a lot, a lot, of stuff packed in here, is how so many well-meaning people who seem to legitimately care about the kids’ well-being are basically forced to look the other way as they are exploited. The structures of capitalism are so well constructed that there’s nobody who can do anything about it.

Especially concerning, since even though this stuff is clearly illegal and the companies are getting away with it anyway, is the movement in R-dominated states to actually make it less illegal! They frame it as making it easier for a 17-year-old to pick up an extra shift at McDonald’s, but what it’s really aimed at is making it even easier to exploit brown kids in these horrible jobs.

And there’s more, if you want to get really depressed:

2 Likes

That’s what really jumped out to me - just how systematically this is all set up so that there’s nothing to be done about it. And those child labor mill cleaning companies can just go out of business every five years or whatever when there are lots of complaints and investigations, and restructure under a new name and pop back up.

And the way Perdue just donates a ton of stuff to the town reminds me of American Gangster, with Frank Lucas handing out turkeys on Thanksgiving to keep the goodwill of the neighborhood.

1 Like

Lol saw this on Reddit. He is so good at this stuff, it’s like he shooting fish in a barrel every time he testifies

https://twitter.com/chyeaok/status/1704583283693228276/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1704583283693228276&currentTweetUser=chyeaok&mode=profile

2 Likes

https://x.com/unusual_whales/status/1704870849831125446

this person better be in congress or else they’re in real trouble

3 Likes

They just turned $22,000 into $10,065,000. I bet their legal fees and eventual fines are way less than $10,043,000.

You do that shit from like the caymans or wherever when you know you’re never coming back.

Seems like a lot of people forgot to remember

2 Likes

The big mistake here was not buying 10x as many calls.

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance, who is out that 10 million?

Whoever sold them those call options.

1 Like

Ohhh, so someone said “sure I’ll sell you 127 splunk shares for 22,000 at the end of day tomorrow” and then work up to find that those shares weren’t .04$ over the call price but $18.30 and was sad because they lost all of the price increase due to the sale?

2 Likes

Gold bars? WTF?

1 Like

Surprised Pikachu

That MFer was riding around on the PJ of a massive Medicare scamming doctor for years, just a shamelessly corrupt POS

I mean the exact transaction was ‘I’m going to sell this sucker insurance that will expire end of day tomorrow’.

Technically options are supposed to be used like insurance products to hedge things… but obviously if you let people buy fire insurance (including for positive events!) on any building in the world for potentially much more than the building is even worth things are going to get wonky fast. Options are for sure the best way for a not mega wealthy person to monetize inside corporate info before say a merger.

What are the chances anyone gets in any trouble for this?